4.0 HO engine swap....what do you guys think?

RayOvac

I went to the junkyard today to look for a shifter for my 95 YJ when I noticed a 91 cherokee that was hit from the side...the interior was raped but I checked out the engine and transmission....sure enough 4.0 HO and AX-15...perfect to swap out my old 4 banger and AX-5(dying). Well I went back to the owner and asked him what he would want for the entire drivetrain (engine, trans, tcase) with all cables, wires, and harnasses. He said $700 and I gave him the "I dunno know about that" face....I talked with him a bit more about it and then said "Well I'll think about it" and left. What do you guys think...is that a good deal...should I buy it all and try to swap it out? What things will I run into (potential probs)....how much more will it cost to do the swap? Do you think its a good idea or no?[addsig]

How many miles? How good of shape? did you make sure it ran? What T-case?

I think the frame motor mounts will need to be moved and you'll want the fan shroud in addition to everything else you listed but other than that it sounds like a good idea...

Good luck[addsig]

I made the same swap into my 88 wrangler with the moter, trans, t-case from a 91 cherokee also. I would say go for it, it's a great swap. When you get the motor out have a compression check done on it to make sure everything is ok before you put it in you YJ. Also use your stock radiator and buy some kind of an electric fan like a black magic or something, get one with a shroud already on it. You will also have to make your own motor mounts but they arn't that hard to fab up.

Good Luck
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back