Rocker panel pictures

Craig

I'm gonna be making some rocker panels/rock sliders and have an idea of what I'm gonna do but I'd like to see some pics of others. I've already searched the old threads but the pictures and links don't work anymore. Any suggestions or problems you ran into? Thanks.

2x4 tubeing 3/16" thick...bounce of rocks and keep on going

RE: Hey

I cant post a pic of the ones I made but here is the link.http://home.comcast.net/~utahjeeper/rocker panels.jpg

I made the rocker panels out of 3/16, 1018 cold rolled steel and have a flat layout if you want. It only cost me about 40$ to buy the steel and I torched them out with a double odd cutting head. it was 30$ to get them bent up at a local sheet-metal shop, a couple of passes with a spray on bed-liner for the outside and a black epoxy for the inside and they were done. I also have the cad files that that my friend over at Mepco used to make the sliders with too.
I installed the sliders first but shoved a rock through them and pinged my tub so the rocker panels came next. The hardest part was grinding off 3/16 on an inch off the body pucks but we used a bench top grinder and re-ground the sphereical tops to match the washers.

The actual rocker panel part is no problem. I'm gonna probably use 3/16" thick angle iron. I'm interested in what people have done for a rock slider. I also need to weld on some kind of side step so my girlfriend can get in....she's only 5 feet tall.
What I'm thinking of doing for the slider is welding on a piece of 1" x 1" square tubing on the underside of the rocker panel.
For the sidestep I'm thinking of getting long piece of 1 1/2" round, solid steel (Solid is probably overkill so if it's too expensive, I'll look into a thick walled tubing instead)and somehow bending the ends in and welding them onto the side of the rocker panel similiar to Utah_jeepster's but it'll be sticking straight out to the side. I'm still undecided on how I'm gonna do this so any other suggestions or pictures would help.

Where do you even begin?

Just remember...anything you bolt to the body will absorb the impact. I'd build something and attach it to the frame..my .02

Re: RE: Bryanjeep

I like frame mounted nerf bars for the type of wheeling I like to do. You don't want to smack a stump at speed with just a little piece of angle bolted to your rocker panel. The nerfs also need to stick out past the body some for a little impact resistance from the side......that's helpful around trees. For rocker protection, an 1/8" piece of steel with a lip bent along the bottom is plenty when combined with the nerfs. I still prefer the old school round tube style tucked up close to the body. They slide over everything from all angles and they're strong. You can run a strap or winch cable around them for recovery too, which is nice.

The middle of the road "slider" type deals that the rockcrawlers run seem fine for what they're expected to do. Sliding across rocks at slow speeds while maintaining maximum ground clearance.

Mine are 1/4" 4"x4" angle iron from wheelwell to wheelwell, tapered on the bottem side near the ends. Added 2"x2" tubing for a tree/rock standoff that makes a pretty good step. All in all makes for a 6" skid underneath. Very strong as it bolts on both sides of the firewall, as well as through the thick seatbelt mount of the tub behind the front seat.
DSCN3174JPG-5.jpg

DSCN3175JPG-5.jpg

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Finally!

I am sorry Junkpile but I am going to have to disagree with your 1/8 steel rockerpanel suggestion. First off 1/8 cold rolled steel with 10-18 Rc can be "dented in" by simply laying your jeep against a rock. Seen it too many times on 1/8 corner and side panels. 3/16 or better!
Bounty__Hunter I like yours as well but like all sliders that attach to the tub its going to bite you in the rear one day. The slider is placed below the jeep to slide the center section of it over the offending object (I.E. the rock) The slider bends slightly towards the tub as it takes the weight of the jeep and slides it over. If you hit it suddenly even the best made slider will bend and if its connected to your jeep..well good luck opening the door.
The reason I run both a slider and rocker panel is I have had rocks slip through the sliders opening and smack the tub ( had to use a porta-power to straighten the tub to open and close the door) The rocker panel hides this little "hit" and strengthens the tub in this area.
My sliders are welded to the frame since I have seen many of grade 8 bolts get sheared off from the stresses of sliding them over a few obsticals.
If your looking for a good set of rocker panels that will work on rocks I recomend that you go here to Poison Spyder and look at theres. And yes I made mine after seeing theres.

RE: just a test

Ok so I think I've decided what I'm going to try and do. I'm gonna go with 3/16" thick 4"x4" angle iron for the rocker panel. I'm gonna pick up some 3/16" thick round tube which I'm gonna bolt to the sides of the frame and weld to the underside of the rocker panel. Depending on how much of a step I need I might weld on a seperate piece to the side of the tubing coming out and angled up with some grip tape on it. Basically, similiar to Utah_jeepster's but with a few minor differences. I don't have a welder so I'm gonna have to get my buddy to weld it up for me which knowing him might take a while. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

I am sorry Junkpile but I am going to have to disagree with your 1/8 steel rockerpanel suggestion. First off 1/8 cold rolled steel with 10-18 Rc can be "dented in" by simply laying your jeep against a rock

With the nerf sticking out far enough and tucked up close enough to the rocker, the 1/8" is fine. I could see denting it on a rock, but I don't have any rocks to worry about. Just extra unneeded weight to slow the Jeep down and help break parts.

RE: cherokee XJ transmission?

Looks like 3/16" is hard to find here according to the guy at the scrap metal yard. Picked up some 1/4" 6"x3" angle. Overkill but that's ok.

Back