TJ 2.4L O2 sensor

mud4feet

Figured y'all could help me out better than anyone else.......

Malfunction light came on this morning - P0132 - high voltage O2 sensor, bank 1 sensor 1. Have noticed that my mileage has been dropping lately (despite the acetone experiment), she sputters every now and then, and just noticed some black build-up on my tailpipe. Jeep's a 2003 2.4L with about 75K on it.

Am I correct in assuming this sensor is the one upstream from the cat? And is it time to replace it (no mention in the maintenance schedule and I haven't yet inspected it)? Getting ready for the bi-annual pilgrimage North and would really like to straighten this out first.

Thanx in advance to the Jeepz brain trust.

Mechanically challenged but poor,
mud

autozone will scan your jeep for free and sell u the sensor you need. Probably your cheapest route. You'll need a special socket for the sensor itself to get it out.

Well, I broke down and bought a sensor based on my un-confirmed assumption as to which one "bank one, sensor one" was (didn't need it scanned - my Jeep already did that). OE sensor (with plug attached) was $108 and not in stock. I bought the "universal" for about $60 and, after a little wire splicing (included a nice little splice kit, housing, and instructions), installed it and the light went off (BTW, a 7/8 inch wrench worked just fine......don't know how I would've gotten a socket in there - special or not). I guess I'll be finding out tomorrow if I did things right. I'm sure that I'll be replacing this thing sooner than I would have replaced the OE, but at the moment time and money are of the essence. Thanx for the help, Dingus.........I'll keep y'all posted.

PS.........anyone else wishing to do this, I would recommend NOT doing it as soon as you get home from work, laying on your back in a gravel driveway................let the exhaust cool down first!! OUCHIE!!!

mud4feet said:
PS.........anyone else wishing to do this, I would recommend NOT doing it as soon as you get home from work, laying on your back in a gravel driveway................let the exhaust cool down first!! OUCHIE!!!

Ya big dope!! Sounds like a Sparky stunt!!

(best of luck on the rest of your pilgrimage)

Well, a little update (thanx to chuginsudz's post of the FSM).......seems I replaced the wrong sensor. Sensor1/Bank1 is inside the engine compartment, just down from the exhaust manifold.

So my question (oops...edit: questions), before I head to Advance Auto tomorrow..........what have I hurt putting an "upstream" O2 sensor in the "downstream" position?? Does the "downstream" sensor do anything more than just monitor the efficiency of the pre-cat??? Is the "upstream" sensor the only one that really affects performance?? Will it hurt me having 2 "upstream" sensors installed, or should I buy a "downstream" and switch them around (and have I done any damage to the previously-purchaced upstreamer??)??

Inquiring minds want to know

Last edited:
Back