Smells bad!

jeeprookie

I just bought an 83 CJ7 and the exhaust smells like gas and, well... exhaust.
More than usual though. I know a few people who own CJ's and thiers dont smell as much as mine. Every time I drive it I have to change clothes because Im saturated by the time I get home. The Jeep runs and idles rough when cold (its 23 years old) but runs great when warmed up. Do you think my carb needs adjusting or may there be something else? The only reason why I dont think it needs adjusting is because it really does run great when its warmed up. Im no mechanic though!!!!!!!

P.S. puffs of greyish black smoke come out of exhaust when its cold.

thanks for any advise

Sounds like it's running very rich when cold. If you can put up with the odor and poor cold running then don't change a thing.

Otherwise consider adjustments, then rebuild, then replacement, then upgrading to a Motorcraft 2150.

jeeprookie said:
I just bought an 83 CJ7 and the exhaust smells like gas and, well... exhaust.
More than usual though. I know a few people who own CJ's and thiers dont smell as much as mine. Every time I drive it I have to change clothes because Im saturated by the time I get home. The Jeep runs and idles rough when cold (its 23 years old) but runs great when warmed up. Do you think my carb needs adjusting or may there be something else? The only reason why I dont think it needs adjusting is because it really does run great when its warmed up. Im no mechanic though!!!!!!!

P.S. puffs of greyish black smoke come out of exhaust when its cold.

thanks for any advise
hey i find that if you cut your exhaust off at the caddi and use flex hose and run it out the side of the jeep in front of the back tire it kills that smell automatically and you wont smell like gas or exhaust fumes

Thanks for the advise!! I just had a new exhaust put on, and had them turn the pipe to the side but it is behind the tire, not in front of it. I only have a muffler and a resonator on the exhaust.

Try pulling the air cleaner off and start the CJ when it's stone cold. After fired, the choke plate should NOT be completely closed.. (I think it's called "the choke pull down adjustment"). When it's running, manually tip the choke open ever so little. If the rig smooths out and runs better, then that tells you that the choke plate is closed too much when it's cold. Adjust per a repair manual or common sense (bending a rod with 2 pair of needle nose pliers usually) to open up that plate a tad. Trial and error works good too. LBR

As LBR said... also if you have the original air cleaner assembly, check to make sure there is vacuum to the actuator on the air intake gate. It should be closed when cold before start up, but should open once started or warmed up. If it stays closed, it acts like a choke. Also, have you done a nutter bypass? That helped me greatly and i adjusted the carb idle mixtures. Now it runs like a roadrunner being chased by a coyote.

Back