No hubs ????

Spotfirecsi

Well guys took the new yj out on the first shakedown run today. Nice Ca day some hairy trails what more could ya ask for. well 4wheel drive for one. headed up a rather hairy part of a trail behind my buddies truck and made it 3/4 of the way up when it just started digging. Noticed that the front wasn't going. Front shaft was spinning but no tire grab. Took awhile to get it back down and noticed that i have never seen the 4 wheel light go on (thought it might have been a bad bulb)

I have heard that the yj's that have the damn vacum shift motor's fail alot. I looked at everything and it seems to be hooked up but it won't engage. Anyone else have this problem ??? I just ordered the manual cable system and hope if i get rid of the vacum thing all together it will correct the problem.(I want to change that system even if its something else wrong) Has anyone changed to that and how does it work out for ya ??? Im totally impressed with how well it wheeled today and can't wait to see it in 4wheeldrive

Last edited:

Amazing how far a Jeep will go in 2wd, isn't it?

Never had problems with the vacuum motor, but I hear that it does happen a lot on the YJ. Also hear the manual cable is a much better system, and pretty easy to install.

Do a search for homemade posi-lock. That's your easiest and permanent fix.

It'll cost you about $20 (or you could spend well over $100 on the ready to install kit sold by that name).

well i ordered a kit for it as well as a new shift fork. It dosent look to hard to install (famous last words) sould be here in a few days..

You can remove the vacuum disconnect (4 bolts), slide the disconnect collar over to engage both axleshafts, and reinstall the vacuum disconnect upside down. This will hold the collar engaging both axleshafts and will ensure you have 4wd, or as close to 4wd as you can get with open diffs.

Damn never thought of that. That would have been good to do on the trail when it burried. Almost rolled it digging it out and turning it around. the wife would have killed me two jeeps in a month LOL

Back