bondo bed liner ???

lonewolf81

hey yall, ive read some old post about the bondo bed liner being more durable than the herculiner. has anyone had any experiance with it ? is it just as good or better than the herc ? im looking for a cheap but good way to do the inside of my jeep , and possibly the outside too.

I have had it in my Jeep for several years. It's tough and durable and maintains a luster. Follow the preparation instructions and it will stay on for a long time.

so its not faded at all or anything
im thinking im gonna go this way its only 60 i could get enough to do a good thick coating

It is better than the Herculiner I had used before. The only area that I have problems with is where I slacked on the prep work.
IMO, any do it yourself liner is an alternative to a "spray on" not a substitute. I have not seen any DIY liner that looks as good or is as durable as Linex or Rhino, etc..

yeh but those are too expensive , maybe if i had a brand new truck then yeh i could see spending the money for a professional but my yj aint in that good of shape , i actually gotta fig out how im going to fix the rusted floor board before i do that anyways , but thanks for the info i think im gonna try the bondo its seems to be the cheapest way lol.

Hi, I'm new to this group.

I have plans to to do the Herculiner to the tub of my old YJ.

I realize that the pro spray on liners are much higher in quality, but I don't want to spend half the value of my ride for a floor covering.

I just want something durable that I can do. Part of it is the do it your self thing.

Anyone have advice about application tips or something that works better?

Thanks,

Mike

I just did my tub in Herculiner about a month ago. It seems the prep work is the hardest next to staying clean. I did two coats about a day apart, one gallon can each coat. One can could do it but if you can spend a bit more the thick coat is great. I had to let it dry for three days since it's freezing up here. I am very pleased with the results.

as for application tips - COMPLETELY GUT YOUR INTERIOR (seats, console, shifter boot, unbolt pedals that bolt to floor etc...) then take the instructions and multiply by 3 at least - clean everything with TSP (trisodiumphosphate), dry, clean again, dry, clean again - then get with the scotchbrite pads (recruit friends to help save your arms and hands) and do 3 times as much prep as you "think" will work - DO NOT NEGLECT ANY SPOTS!!!! (i did neglect a few spots thinking it'd be "ok" and thats where my peeling happened) - and wipe off with the recommended solvent (very important for compatability) when everything is nice and dull and clean, tape off carefully, fill all bolt holes with rolled up tape (sticky side out) and start the application - the first coat will look like a complete waste of time - dont get discouraged - the second coat is the "money" coat - do the project you'll love the result! (oh... one more thing - Herculiner does have a shelf life and HATES heat when stored - i got to go buy a second kit b/c of that!) g'luck and welcome to Jeepz!

oh yea - buy extra scotch brite pads, gloves, paint brushes and make sure you wear long sleeves, throwaway clothes - and KEEP IT OFF YOUR SKIN!!! this stuff bonds with EVERYTHING (clothes, skin, floors, drills, screwdrivers, etc... ) !!! trust me.... i learned the hard way!!!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, be carefull opening the cans. One of my assistants used too much leverage with a screwdriver and sent the can flying (fortunately one of the quarts and not a gallon). It was one of those accidents where we didn't really say anything for a few seconds, in awe of the largest messes we had ever made. At least nobody got hurt and liner was not in our hair. Gloves, saftey glasses, floor covering/tarp and dirty clothes are very helpful (hats too next time). The cleaning solvents reccomended by Herculiner work very well.

Qwikliner Spray on bedliner with Low Cost Replacement Parts

:eek: Due to the extreme self contained simplicity of the QWIK Liner® system, it has very few replacement parts and the parts that need to be replaced are inexpensive. No need to replace hoses, fittings, pumps or expensive equipment :eek:

Back