Replacing body mounts on 91 YJ and bolts

Vasily

Hello all,

I have a 91 YJ and am trying two things. I need to replace the stock body mounts. The jeep is a fixer and it evidently had an accident. The body mounts in a few spots are bent and out of alignment.
How can I relieve the weight of the body and remove these? I know it will be a bear no matter what, but would like to get your advice.

My spouse decided she wanted new stainless steel hinges. Typical jeep, I have bolts that won't budge for anything. Any suggestions? Diagrams of how to get the windshield bolts out? I have several bolts scattered around the jeep that are not moving. the rest came out like a textbook.

Help!

try pb blaster let soak for a few days. it worked for some of my body mounts
I had to use a chizel for the others.also you could use a high lift or floor jack to lift and support the body for the mount removal.

Loosen all the body mounts and only remove the bolts from one side at a time. Jack up that side with a floorjack with a board on top and the loose bolts on the opposite side will keep the body from shifting.

You may have to weld a nut on the torx to get them loose, you can get a wrench on them and the heat will help break them loose.

The body mount bolts on my '93 YJ were rusted fast. No amount of heat or penetrating oil (even a combination) would loosen them. I had to cut the boltheads off and then cut the interior floor above the bolts to remove them completely. I later replaced them with Grade 8 bolts. I welded Grade 8 washers and nuts together in place of the factory hardware that was within the flooring. Good luck to you!

Diagrams of how to get the windshield bolts out?

If you mean the ones for the factory roll cage, I have read somewhere that you should first loosen the bolt on the back (meaning the ones that connect the extensions to the roll bar) and then the ones that attach to the windshield. I would also recommend a good amount of PB Blast, as those Torx can easily be damaged (ask me how I know this!).

Also, make sure you are using the right size; in case of Torx, a smaller size will sometimes feel as if it is the right size, so always try one larger size to make sure!

Hope this helps, 'cause I have NO experience with body mounts!

Felipe

i find that an angle grinder and a little dexterity works on the frozen torx. after burning the heads off the bolts , the pc thats left usually backs right out with vise grips. must be the heat and vibration of the angle grinder. especially if you are tossing the old hinges anyway. i've done three this way with good results. and like dandoc said, the body bolts can be a real treat. break'em and drill'em , bolt on with thick washers and be done with it ! ( the one under the seats is in a closed frame section and requires a more drastic fix. the inner part being at an angle its veryhard to drill . might have to resort to welding a nut to the frame. good luck !

Vasiley,
Did you ever get these replaced? I had a hard time with mine on my old CJ, but after alot of work and lube they eventually came out.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice. I'm about to tackle this having just been laid off. A few bolts are at an angle, I assume from the right front end crash. The rest are at the appropriate angles. I will replace with new bolts.
I am also going to repaint the underbelly with the rust-stop the jeep mags talk about. Any advice?

onward and upward,

Vasily

Back