I need help asap!

B.Jones

Ok I'm leaving to go to north carolina in 9 hours. I'm coming home from work today and my jeep keeps dieing when I crank it and the rpm drop below 600 it cuts off. I got home popped the hood and fired it up. It idled fine, then I gave it a little gas, it reved up then when I let off it completely shut off. The I cut the a/c off and it wouldn't do it. Then I cut it back on and it would. I'm thinking my ac is pulling to much power. Is this an easy fix I can do? Or do I need to try to find my mechanic for a late night repair?

I would guess something related to the AC system, like a bad compressor.
a quick google search for "AC on engine dies" turned up alot of stuff, so you may check that. Sometimes the compressor can freeze, or become really hard to turn, and put a drag on the engine.

Replacing the compressor, or any real AC work normally takes a shop, as they need to pull all the air out of the system, then put in refrigerant

My low tech answer would be to drive it with the windows down and no AC, and fix it when you have the time.

Thanks for the help. It actually stopped doing it. It was only cutting off when I stopped the jeep. I made the six hour drive no problem with the a/c on. But I guess I'm still gonna need to check it out when I get back. Now to see if I can find some trails in the mountains up here.

Thanks for the help. It actually stopped doing it. It was only cutting off when I stopped the jeep. I made the six hour drive no problem with the a/c on. But I guess I'm still gonna need to check it out when I get back. Now to see if I can find some trails in the mountains up here.

Where you at in NC????? I'm pretty familiar with the Haywood, Jackson, Swain County area. Gotta love those National Forests!!!!!!

Back