Wrangler Steering column "U" joint????

60 Biscayne

The upper "U" joint on the steering column of my 1989 Wraangler is junk!
I never changed one before but a U joint is a U joint, I guess.
Anyway, I go to the Advanced auto paarts website & there's NO Listing......
I stop into my local NAPA Store & he can't find it either??????
Anybody have a part number or where I can get it or is it some kind os a "You can't fix it, you have to buy the whole shaft as an assembly & it's only available from your Jeep dealer - cost is more than the vehicle is worth so what can I tell ya"????????
Any words of wisdom, except ones like my last funny, will be apprechiated.
Thanks,
Jim

There's a guy on eBay that is selling the U joint but he wants $35 + 6.50 shipping!!!!!! I use to run a Truck refurb business, I bought lots of U joints......... I never paid $35 for one..... we're not talking constant velocity or front axle here......... This is a little thing - it looks like it would be on a toy!
Is this the deal????? $35 put up or shut up?
Jim

Sorry, Jim. That u-joint in the steering column is not designed to be replaced. A few months ago I looked into that for a '93 YJ, only to find that an entire steering shaft assembly was the only solution. My steering shaft u-joint wasn't bad, I was just curious then. What's the reasoning behind the "junk" label of your upper u-joint? Pictures help ;) Also, what's the link to that e-bay listing?

Hay Dan,
The eBay auction for the guy who is selling the U joint is:
Auction #280202935950
He claims a complete new shaft runs approx $300 so this is a cheap way to fix.
I have to do something the upper joint on my vehicle wobbles around like there aren't any needles left in it!
Jim

Check with some online Jeep parts distributors (there are many), or your local Mopar/Chrysler/Jeep dealer for prices on a replacement intermediate shaft. I found this e-bay auction for the intermediate shaft: Item number 300202178791. The $300 that you read about in the u-joint auction are for upgraded steering shafts. Also consider searching the salvage ("junk") yards for what you need. You may be surprised with what you find. Good luck to you.

spend $100 at quadratec and get the whole shaft lotta the stuff in the junk yard is junk.

This is the whole reason I joined this forum! All my questions answered and a source for the part revealed. Thanks guys.

Here was my problem with the lower steering column bearing.

bearing-2.jpg

I'm gonna go ahead and change the whole shootin' match. Thanks again

My problem was the bearing but I went ahead and ordered the shaft too because mine were pretty rusted. I've been having this problem for a couple years but was just too lazy to diagnose it because I figured it would be easy to do once it went ahead and broke. I don't drive this Jeep but maybe 100 miles a year. I'm glad I found this though. It should make my wife more willing to drive it once it's fixed.

After I pulled the shaft and saw that it was just kinda rusted solid I went ahead and cleaned it up and freed up the "u-joints". I canceled the order for the whole shaft and just bought the $16 bearing that was out. Quadratech's website said they had them in stock. Now 16 days later they just recieved them and sent them out today! I'm going back offshore on the 15th so hopefully they'll be in by the 14th. I hate the back order BS. If it said they didn't have them I would have gone a different route! I also POR-15ed the rusty brake booster and the shaft. I didn't realize how bad it looked till I posted the picture!

Back