Dreaded P0456 code

jeepster357

So rather recently our trusty TJ has decided to do a minor revolt, must not be upgrading it enough for its liking. Anyways the check engine light decided to come on. I turned the key switch over 3 times and recieved that pesky P0456 code (small evap system leak) I pulled out my scanner and verified. I cleared the code and Jeepstergirl drove it to work yest with no issue but this morning it popped back up.

My question is, how many of you folks have had this DTC and what was your solution? I know a common issue is the gas cap and I plan on taking a gander at it when I get home, I would just like to be prepard with a list of known issues to be on the look out for.

Thanks guys and gals.

I was gonna say gas cap, but you beat me to it...

Ok....several things here. Check the vacuum lines on the driver side fender. I had a few that were cracked/split and when I replaced them the light went away for a while. That is part of the vapor return system. Basically, this just sends unburnt gas fumes back to the tank. My light has since come back on, but I'm not worried about it since it stayed off long enough to pass smog and that's all I worried about. I'm pretty sure it is a default in the gas tank side because as soon as I let the gas level get below 3/4 full it would come back on.

Good luck!

its revolting cuz u haven't had it on a trail in 2 1/2 weeks!! :evil: how dare you!

:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Sorry, I can't help you. My soon-to-be-paid-off '03 has never done that to me...........but with the way life's goin' right now, I sure appreciate the laugh!!! Thanx, jeepstergirl!!!!

glad i could help mud :D your family is still in my prayers.

oh by the way.....the light went off after i got gas today....apparently jeepster357 can drive it and fix it, he just can't put a gas cap on correltly :grin:

haha just kidding baby....love ya :love:

UGH!!! ok that last post is really mine, not 357s!!! forgot to log-in under my name before posting. :roll::roll:

what can i say...its been a long week!!

If the light comes back on (and I'm pretty sure it will) check the rubber hoses at the LDP (leak detection pump). Chrysler, in their infinate wisdom uses a type of rubber hose that detiorates very quickly and will crack. I have run into this more often than a bad fuel cap.

If the light comes back on (and I'm pretty sure it will) check the rubber hoses at the LDP (leak detection pump). Chrysler, in their infinate wisdom uses a type of rubber hose that detiorates very quickly and will crack. I have run into this more often than a bad fuel cap.

Where exactly is this hose? Is it in the gas cap or in the filler neck? I have the same error code and would like to get rid of it before next year when I have to smog it again.

Back