how many cj's running a 360?

woodie92

my 82 has a amc 360 auto trans.... wondering how it would hold up with a "built" 360 and what 4 barrels r u running? i've got a edelbrock performer and a holley 750..... looking at the falcon master rebuild kit w stage two cam.( on ebay)????
the thing is a little spooky stock and a two bbl. any suggestions or set backs i should know of about building this motor? thanks

I had a 360 in a 83 cj that I had, it was a stockish rebuild 360 from a FSJ with a mild cam and hooker headers T5 transmission and D300 T-case, D44F/Semi floating D60R Unforunatly I sold it before problems would occur, but things I noticed...

-Frame needed to be stiffened from the motor mounts to the transmission, lots of frame flexing under moderate throttle.
-T5 wasn't going to last long, but it was never rebuilt
-I had cooling issues using a 304 cj radiator, put in a aluminum unit and that issue was solved, I got the 304 rad used, so not sure if it was just bad to begin with, the Alm. Rad. was also used but worked like a charm

I do have a friend now with a buit 401 in a CJ and he swapped to a YJ frame and that really stiffened his up.

yeah i've already repaired frame from motor mount forward on steering box side, re braced it.... transmission seems ok... i radiator is shot! have two motors and just wondering about what will fail next if i build it up

If you rebuild the engine, replace the aluminum timing chain cover with a brand new one. The lower end of the cover is also the housing for the oil pump. They get worn from years of debris passing through the pump. Worn oil pump housings are the most common cause of low oil pressure in the AMC V8's.

Back