Yj speedometer

dracowing14

I'm purchasing an '89 YJ next weekend and i have a lot of things to fix on it but for now i guess i'll start with the most serious the speedometer does not work it is there and apparently so are the wires it just not hooked up to the engine does anyone have nay info, pics or anything else on how to do this.

The '89 speedo is cable driven and attaches to the rear output housing of the transfer case. I'd start there.

I picked up one of those haynes manuals i have to say the older ones are alot more detailed then the newer ones. I found were the speedo cable attaches in the manual now my other concern is tis 1 when i attach the speedo cable is there any tuning involved cause the manual doesn't mention anything. and 2 if its not that cable assembly how far is the speed sensor usually located in the engine.

The cable goes from the transfer case to the back of the speedo, so if everything checks out on the transfer case it could be bad at the speedo.

I'd pull the speedo gear out of the transfer case tailshaft housing and inspect it for wear. When putting it back in, you'll have to correctly clock it so the gear engages the mainshaft. Just google 'jeep speedometer gear swap' and you'll see what I'm talking about.

speedo07-1.jpg

ok thank you very much this is exactly what i need. also on a side note does anyone have any info on the e brake or pics of there e brakes in a yj the one i am getting you use your foot to engage but you have to reach under the dash and hit something to disengage it i need to see what this thing is.

Back