88 YJ project jeep

KonvictedSiner1

ok i have an 88 yj that i'm starting to fix up. the setup it has right know is a inline 4, i think the stock transmission and transfer not to sure, a 4 in rubicon lift, 35 in M/T on M/T classic locks, 5.13 gears in rear w/o a locker in the stock axels.

i'm going to get a chevy small block 350 to put in it, but i'm haveing trouble finding a good transmission to go along with it. so i'm wounder what would be a good set up for it.

plan on putting dyantrac 60 in rear w an ARB locker probly same gear setup, Dyantrac 44 in the front, and an atlas transfer later on.

Attachments

• P1000574.jpg
    P1000574.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 400
  • P1000575.jpg
    P1000575.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 681
Last edited:

gm transmissions are a dime a dozen auto's i suggest th350,700r4. Standard sm465

they fit perfect and with the rite planning you may not have any driveline/diveshaft issues!

Good Luck

those are good Autos, if your not a fan of slush boxes, NV4500, sm 465, sm 420 are all great transmissions, the first having OD if you drive it, the others don't. the sm 465 is pretty much bullet proof, it came behind just about any chevy mill from the 6 cyl to a Big Block 454, they are cheap, and a great 6.7X first gear in all of them.

What axles are you running?

Keep in mind that the type of transmission may also limit your type of transfer case, at which time you will want to make sure the front output is on the correct side to match the front axle.

right know it has the stock axles in it, i also have a five speed manuel transmission and want to keep it that why i'm not the biggest fan of having an auto transmission on the trails.

I'd double check the gear ratio, lowest you can go in that rear axle is 4.88, not 5.13.

Consider the NV4500 if you want to run low axle gears on the highway, it has an OD. I run 5.38 gears down the highway at 70mph with no problems thanks to an OD transmission (and a rev happy 4banger).

I just built me a Super231 a helluva lot cheaper than an Atlas. Granted I don't have the low gearing, it is a strong case. I installed a 6-gear planetary, wider 1.25" chain and sprockets, 2lo kit, and a super short SYE. Same length as an Atlas.

Back