1998 Wrangler TJ with bad spider gears (?)

cromedome

I am considering changing out the rear axle assembly on my sons Jeep.The drive shaft spins and the wheels do not. I am assuming a shot spider gear.
Having done a few auto repairs in the past I feel confident that I can do the job but will need a little advice and how-to as I have never tried this particular repair before. I am going on the advice of a repair guy who said its a lot easier to drop the whole assemble and replace with a new or used one. I need to first ID the one on the Jeep. I think its a Dana 35c but want to be sure. Also I am having trouble finding the ratio. Before we go any further, is this the time to consider a different rear, maybe a higher performance one, and if we do will the drive shaft have to change as well? Thanks in advance! I plan to photo document this repair once I get all my facts collected.

De' Ja'Vu', I must have grabbed the good coffee this morning, i'm seeing doubles. Anyways, as i've responded to your other post, The Gear ratio should be stamped on a metal tag attached to the differential cover bolts. the other tag should be the axle part number. As for replacing(upgrading) the Differential or axle assembly, there is a bunch of Experts here that can help you with that, i'm not one of them. Oh, and Welcome to Jeepz..

HA HA Ha sorry bout that. I'm gonna run out and do a better wipe down and check it out better. In the meantime, is it a bad idea to run the Jeep in 4wd all the time (til I get it fixed?) I hope you have good coffee. That's one thing you want right for sure.

On pavement and High speeds that i know of is not recommended. i've never used 4wd on the highway or where i have traction. i'm not quite for sure the detrimental effect of driving on 4wd.

You can remove the rear driveshaft and use 4wd in limited amounts, I wouldn't go long distances or accelerate quickly.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to replace the spider gears.

There are occasionally TJ rear d44's for sale on different jeep forums, sometimes even front/rear d44's from the Rubicon. They are good bolt-in options. A great option that requires a little more work is the '95+ Explorer 8.8 as it has the same lug pattern, disc brakes, and gear ratios common to jeeps. Just need a $300 axle bracket kit and somebody to install it.

[QUOTE=
It's a lot easier and cheaper to replace the spider gears.

Really! Can you expand a little, and is this something that can take
place in the driveway?

You will need a pair of jackstands to support the rear axle. Pull the diff cover, remove the carrier centerpin, push the axleshafts inward and pull out the c-clips. Pull axleshafts outwards until they clear the side gears. Now you can replace the spider and side gears. Reverse procedure for putting it back together.

Wow is it that easy? I've had folks warn me it would be a bad time and easy to
screw up by not getting the gears lined up properly.

Wow is it that easy? I've had folks warn me it would be a bad time and easy to
screw up by not getting the gears lined up properly.

They are referring to the ring and pinion, which is true. The spider gears can only go in one way, no adjustment, you can't screw it up.

If your thinking about getting a different Rear, i would go with a dana 44. They are very dependable and not to $$$ or hard to find.

but just as the other guys said changing the spider gears isnt hard. I just got done changing the spiders in my front dana 30. No biggie

Thanks for the help fellas I will be taking a look inside the differential tonight.
I did contact Jeep for the build sheet and it looks like I have a Dana 30 in the
front, and a 175mm in the rear with a 3.73 ratio. The only info they gave me
was 175mm for the rear axle. Does this mean the rear axle is a Dana 30 also?
Also when we refer to the rear being a Dana 30, are we talking about the axle
or the complete assembly including the differential? I hope I don't wear you guys
out with dopey questions, but I'm in unchartered territory. Thanks again!

Hey Wranglerman, if I do go with a Dana 44, will it bolt up without any extra drama?
and will my old driveshaft connect the same way?

Hey Wranglerman, if I do go with a Dana 44, will it bolt up without any extra drama?
and will my old driveshaft connect the same way?

To be honest I'm not sure...........The drive shaft could possibley be different. I dont think that it would be a big deal though. sorry that really doesnt help you hahah

Here are the spider gears out of my dana 30 front end after carnage at Rausch Creek Pennsylvania. Dont go through the "smoothie" mud hold................There are big Rocks in there! Not Cool

Attachments

• IMG_0149.JPG
    IMG_0149.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 29,317
with broken parts swim'in in your diff, you'd better INSPECT Everything (ie:Ring/Pinion for knicks and bearings for smooooooth operation!) in there before you shell out ANY money....or the Explorer 8.8 is a good swap I hear.

Back