cold air intake??

peejs

looking to buy a cold air intake for my JK and wondering which one to get. toying with a mopar set up just to avoid any dealer hassle with my warranty but wanted some input if anybody has doine it. Did some reading (suprized?) and found that they are all similar and the only thing that varies is the price. Thanks in advanced:beer:

I just bought one used on another forum. Sounds great. Not sure if there's any REAL HP gains. I do tend to stay in gear a little longer through the rpm range 'cause of the awesome sound.
I love it but I'm glad I bought it used. Retail is insane on these things.
oh yea - it's a AEM Brute Force intake

JP Magazine did a test and write up on them sometime ago - it turns out there were some big differences between the different intakes. This info is from jpmagazine.com

Stock Jeep
Install 1-10: 10 (bolted on just like stock)
Filtering Element: paper and foam
Average Peak Torque:188 lb-ft
Average Peak Horsepower:142.3 hp
Pros:
installs great
filters really well
high resistance to water intrusion into engine
Cons:
paper element falls apart when wet
doesn't flow that well
it is a stock part.

Mopar intake
Msrp: $359.00
Install 1-10: 8
Filtering Element: Cotton Gauze
Average Peak Torque: 199.8 Lb-Ft
Average Peak Horsepower: 155.6 Hp
Pros:
Well-thought-out kit, with all the parts needed, and then some
Has factory backing. No more possibility of warranty denials thanks to intake kit.
Can get parts for it, as well as oil and cleaning kit at dealers nationwide
Cons:
With the throttle body spacer, it can be more difficult to install than others
Same issue with cold air separation as the aEM kit (large space at the area behind the filter near the under hood fuse block)
Included hose clamp doesn't fit pCV hose at the intake tube

Airaid intake
Msrp: $399.82
Install 1-10: 6
Filtering Element: Cotton Gauze
Average Peak Torque: 200.9 Lb-Ft
Average Peak Horsepower: 154.0 Hp
Pros:
Gradual taper on intake tube
Good power numbers
unique design has filter bolting to coldair mount on one side, and tube to the other. Tube doesn't actually bolt to filter.
Cons:
Child-sized screws for cold-air housing
requires removal of valve cover bolt for a brace
requires removal of underhood fuse block, fuse block bolt, radiator bolt-in rust areas, this could be a problem.

AEM
Msrp: $362.71
Install 1-10: 8
Filtering Element: Synthetic Dry filter
Average Peak Torque: 198.4 Lb-Ft
Average Peak Horsepower: 155.1 Hp
Pros:
no oiling needed-easy cleaning in a bucket of water or smacking on a bumper
among the best filtration of aftermarket conical filters
all parts needed for install were included, with extras to boot
Cons:
With the throttle body spacer, it can be more difficult to install than some others
halfhearted attempt at separating ambient engine air from the intake (the area between the under hood fuse box and the filter is largely open
we'd stain the bright-white filter on the first off road trip we took.

The Mopar, Airaid and AEF were the best. If I were going to buy one, it would probably be the Mopar.

i put a k&n intake in for the best performance boost and i also heard from other people who put the AEM in theirs that the metal pipe would get to hot on summer days and decrease the power of the engine.

just my .02

I've thought about getting one of these, probably the mopar kit, but I've also heard that it makes the engine noise a bit louder. How much louder did yours get after adding it?

mine didnt get anoying loud just loud enough to hear the the air getting sucked in

its worth every penny too. at the time i was getting about 175 miles to my 15 gal tank and brought it just over 200 miles a tank

and i know the tank is bigger than 15 gal i just fill up after 15 gal used if any one was going to mention that

I've thought about getting one of these, probably the mopar kit, but I've also heard that it makes the engine noise a bit louder. How much louder did yours get after adding it?

Not loud, but it does have a light sound you can hear when you gas it.

Airaid intake

Cons:
Child-sized screws for cold-air housing
requires removal of valve cover bolt for a brace
requires removal of underhood fuse block, fuse block bolt, radiator bolt-in rust areas, this could be a problem

Don't know about theirs but my Airaid had none of the crap cons. Sounds like some anti air raid propaganda to me. All I had to do was remove the old intake box and it was plug and play.

Back