1973 Jeep Cj5 $500

pinaplebob

I came across a Craigs list ad a couple of months ago for a 1973 Cj5 for $500. Said it ran but needed a starter, came with clear title etc. I jumped up it as soon as i saw the ad, and emailed and called the guy, never got a response, or email back figured it was sold. Well fast forward to today, and the guy emails me pictures says its still available.

It looks decently solid in the picture, the guy said it hasnt started in several years, and he's pretty sure it's a 4 cylinder. I set up to go look at it this weekend.

But my question is with the engine what should i look at under the hood with the engine? Is there any signs that would show if its a boat anchor?

I'm already going to bring a whole stock of tools to try and spin the crank, but anything else i'm missing?

Anything special on a '73 worth looking for?

thanks

Here is a picture of it.

Weird stuff to me:

Windshield hinges, but the soft top is on?
Random stuff on the hood?

Thats pretty much it.

Attachments

• 500jeep.jpg
    500jeep.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 64,140
It looks good on the pic.. have you looked at the floor and edges of the body for rust ? , for 500 smacks, that's a great deal..

Looks like a gem for the price. Front fenders look to be fiberglass, so check the condition of the tub floor for large amounts of rust-through.

If the plow comes with it,you could sell the plow by itself and make back the $500 to put towards the starter or anything else it may need.

Not a big deal, but the wiper motor appears to be missing. I'd get it for that price for just a parts vehicle. If you can't make it run or it turns out to be a basket case, you can still part it out for what you had in it. By the way, if you do, dibs on the windshield.

I haven't seen it in person yet. I will on saturday. So for all I know, the back and passanger side could be completly rusted out. But I agree on it looking solid so far.

How can you tell the wiper motor is gone? On my 78 Cj5 the wiper motor is on top of dash. I see the whole in the windshield frame you are talking to. On a 1973 was the motor on the outside of the windshied frame.

If i do end up buying it, i'm going to try and get it running, if not, i've got a whole ton of parts that would make there way into my '78. And would most likely part it out.

I know all about snow plows and these things, my '78 was a plow jeep when i got it, bought it for $500, and turned around and sold the plow off of it for $300. I will definatly be asking about it.

thanks for all you advice. I'll have more pictures of it this weekend i'm sure.

Now i have to figure out someway to get it home if i like it. Looks like Uhaul will be getting a call.

Looks way too good for a parts vehicle!! CJ5's are so cool - You gotta fix it up and run it!! Don't start it on old gas. If there's old gas in the tank use a "cheater tank" (like a one gallon gas can) to start the engine. If you run it on old gas even for a short time you'll run the risk of hanging up the valves and causing severe damage. Been there done that! A clear title and everything? - What a deal! Best of luck - John

I agree on it looking to nice for parts. My cherokee is on it's way out and i was in the market for a cheap Jeep to replace it. This may be the ticket if it turns out nice.

I've been through the whole bad gas thing as well when I got the '78. It sucks and caused a lot more problems for me.

They way the market works around here with Jeeps they are way over priced for the most part. I think If i could get it to run, move, and stop on its own, i would more then double my purchase price, but who knows.

The wiper motor is mounted on the outside on that model. It should be all the way to the driver's side of the windshield above and slightly inboard of the hinge. If you look carefully at the full size blow up on that picture, you can see where it was mounted. There's a squarish hole next to a round hole, and you can see the faint outlines of where the motor was around them.

I figure count on the worse for all the suspension parts. $500 means you'll probably have to do an overhaul. Get ready to do some work.

Think of it as a starting point for a project jeep.

The good news is this vehicle is highly rebuildable. Using places quaratec.com and 4wd.com, you can get everything you need. You can litterally build a brand new CJ all the way to the frame.

If you're a mechanic, go for it.

I went to look at it on Saturday, and it's sitting in the garage right now. I ended up talking the guy down to $400.00 for it. It's rough, but no where nearly as bad off at my '78 cj5 was when I brought it home. It does not run, and the old owner said it was a couple of years.

We got it to run for about 30 seconds just popping the clutch as we rolled it off the trailer, so i'd imagine it won't take much to get it to idle. The First Priority is to get it to start and run on it's own before i dump a bunch of money into it.

What it needs:
Mechanical:
No Brakes..... Haven't looked yet
The Gas Tank leaks, it looks like it's been crushed upwards.
The steering shaft has a lot of play in it.
Looks like it's going to need a bunch of universal joints.

Electrical:
There was a snow plow on it, which was hacked off, so i need to piece together the wiring to the lights.

Body:
Decent amount of rust, and needs a couple of body mounts but not too bad.

The good:
Newer Best top soft top.
Old owner already welding in replacement floor panels.
d44 posi in the back.
Newer matching tires.
lots of spare parts came in the back.
came with $4.56 in change in the center console.

thats all for now. I will get some more pics pretty quick.

you are so lucky i always wanted a cj 5.... i think i have a lil jeep envy

I guessed right about the suspension. Why not just go for a skyjacker system? Get a kit and do the whole thing. It's better than gambling which one of those old parts is going to break on the trail first.

Hey, Lee, my uncle is selling his CJ5. It's a bear.:shades:

Loren, that looks like a cool CJ5 for an even cooler price. I hope you get that thing fixed up. Keep us posted on any progress.

I will most likely go with a complete suspension lift to get it trail worthy. I'm picking up the starter motor on my way home tonight!! So my goal being it's 62 degrees outside is to get it to run.

This is the second CJ5 in the family now. I don't know why I keep coming home with them. I'm 6'2 and they aren't getting easier to get in and out.

I still need to post a build up post on my 78...i just got to gather the pictures they are spread across 2 computers, and a cell phone.

Got the Starter Motor in last night. After hooking everything up I was ready with everything to try and get it to fire up. To check I was good I turned the key, the darn thing started right up. Didn't have to pump the gas, or crank for a long amount of time or anything. I was really really surprised.

It runs strong, took it to the gas station (accross a parking lot) and put 5 bucks in it. It ran for about 45 minutes as of course had to take it for a maden voyage around the property.

Which BTW is fun with no lights, and no brakes. Overall I'm happy with the purchase, it drives straight and pretty smooth.

Back