3.07 to 4.88 Gears

TJ_Jeep

Well i'm going to upgrade my axles from 3.07 to 4.88 because i would like to use 5th gear again haha. But would i need a new carrier or just use my old one. some people say you do need a new one some say you don't, any ideas?

Is it a bad idea to run 33 with stock 3.07? I want to run 33 but dont have the funds to regear now. Is running stock gear asking for a problem?

Is it a bad idea to run 33 with stock 3.07? I want to run 33 but dont have the funds to regear now. Is running stock gear asking for a problem?
i've been running 3.07 with 35's for about 3 months now and take off is ok but 5th is useless

Ya thats is what i have been hearing. Sorry wasn't trying to hijack your thread. Thanks

My jeep has a 5th gear?lol I am only running 31" and 5th is useless unless i am on the highway and run 4th up pretty high in the rev's.Cant imagine what 33" would be like.

That seems to be the concensus about running that set up. I think Iam going top go with the 32s. I just hope i dont get the itch to go 33 to soon LOL. Thanks

That seems to be the concensus about running that set up. I think Iam going top go with the 32s. I just hope i dont get the itch to go 33 to soon LOL. Thanks

Was wondering the same thing on my CJ, fixed the problem by installing a V8, 4 gear has lots of power now

question for you , do you drive your jeep on the street more then 4-wheelin if so you want to go with 4.56 not 4.88 ,i have 4.88 i had to switch them out because i was sucking more fuel down ,when i fill up a full tank of gas i would drive about 68 to 70 miles on the highway on only a quarter of tank ,but when i changed to the 4.56 i went down 300 rpm and saved money on fuel. and that made my jeep run stock with 35 inch tires and using my 5th gear with no lag and so now im getting 97.3 miles on a quarter tank

question for you , do you drive your jeep on the street more then 4-wheelin if so you want to go with 4.56 not 4.88 ,i have 4.88 i had to switch them out because i was sucking more fuel down ,when i fill up a full tank of gas i wwould drive about 68 to 70 miles on the highwayon only a querter of tank but when i changed to the 4.56 i went down 300 rpm and saved money on fuel went back to stock with 35 inch tires and so now im getting 97.3 miles on a quarter tank
Well i pull alot of stuff with mine etc. campers, boats and i need that power to pull all that stuff especially with all the hills around here and its a 4x4 so sucking down gas isn't really bothering me.

Back