TJ Driveline

dad9705

Looking to buy a TJ for a toy. Already had the CJ and the YJ and decided it's time to go for coils. My question is what are the differences between the 4 cyl driveline and the 6 cyl? Was the 44 rear end available in the 4 cyl? Was there a different transmission? Transfer case?

First off welcome to Jeepz...
The biggest diffrence between the 2.5L(4cyl) and the 4.0 (6cyl) is the amount of torque these power plants provide.
From 1997-2002 the Dana 44 rear end came optional on the Sahara's or was a custom order from the dealer. Most 2.5L's came with a manual transmission the 5 speed AX15. The 4.0 could come both ways manual and automatic. (not sure if you could get the 2.5L with a automatic transmission)
The first change in transfer case came in 2003 in the Rubicon editions with the OR241 Transfer case.

Two more little things... The later manual TJs came with a six speed Mercedes transmission which so far seems to be OK. The extra gear does come in handy and probably makes for better fuel economy during city driving. Speaking of Mercedes... The later TJs also have a Mercedes steering gear (which is all cast iron). At some point they dropped the 2.5 4 cyl. and used an overhead cam / aluminum head "car" engine (I bet Steelheadz knows which car, I thought I heard Neon). I feel the 2.5 was a much better engine, being all cast iron and having pushrods. Of course the 4.0 is even better - it has a long history of reliability. If you are thinking about big tires try to find a 4.0 - you'll have an easier time. No matter what you get it'll be great, after all - it's a Jeep;) Best of luck - John

Back