power steering pump replacement.

marlor

:???:
I need to do the power steer pump on my 97 Wrangler TJ 2.5. Is there a web site with a step by step?

The Web site your looking for is Jeepz.com. Here's a step by step with a Diagram and after intallation procedures and precautions. it's really easy.

POWER STEERING PUMP

REMOVAL

1. Remove serpentine drive belt, Refer toooling.
  2. Remove pressure and return hoses from pump, and drain pump.
  3. Remove 3 pump mounting bolts through pulley access holes.
  4. Loosen the 3 pump bracket bolts Pump Mounting
  5. Tilt pump downward and remove from engine.
  6. Remove pulley from pump.
INSTALLATION

1. Install pulley on pump.
  2. Install pump on engine.
  3. Tighten pump bracket bolts to 47 N·m (35 ft. lbs.)
  4. Install 3 pump mounting bolts and tighten to 27 N·m (20 ft. lbs.)
  5. Install the pressure and return hoses on pump.
  6. Install drive belt, Refer toooling.
  7. Add power steering fluid. Refer to Power Steering Pump Initial Operation in this section.
POWER STEERING PUMP - INITIAL OPERATION

[SIZE=+1]WARNING: THE FLUID LEVEL SHOULD BE CHECKED WITH ENGINE OFF TO PREVENT INJURY FROM MOVING COMPONENTS. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]CAUTION: Use MOPAR Power Steering Fluid or equivalent. Do not use automatic transmission fluid and do not overfill. [/SIZE]
Wipe filler cap clean, then check the fluid level. The dipstick should indicate COLD when the fluid is at normal temperature.
  1. Fill the pump fluid reservoir to the proper level and let the fluid settle for at least two (2) minutes.
  2. Start the engine and let run for a few seconds then turn engine off.
  3. Add fluid if necessary. Repeat the above procedure until the fluid level remains constant after running the engine.
  4. Raise the front wheels off the ground.
  5. Slowly turn the steering wheel right and left, lightly contacting the wheel stops at least 20 times.
  6. Check the fluid level add if necessary.
  7. Lower the vehicle, start the engine and turn the steering wheel slowly from lock to lock.
  8. Stop the engine and check the fluid level and refill as required.
  9. If the fluid is extremely foamy or milky looking, allow the vehicle to stand a few minutes and repeat the procedure [SIZE=+1]CAUTION: Do not run a vehicle with foamy fluid for an extended period. This may cause pump damage. [/SIZE]

Attachments

• Powersteering pump rem, ins..gif
    Powersteering pump rem, ins..gif
    9.6 KB · Views: 35,430
Remember there is a special tool for removing and installing the pulley to the pump, most auto parts stores will rent it to you.

SH, can you tell me if an OEM steering pump from an '02 WJ v8 is an upgrade for a '95 YJ 2.5L? Or what OEM pump would make a good upgrade?

SH, can you tell me if an OEM steering pump from an '02 WJ v8 is an upgrade for a '95 YJ 2.5L? Or what OEM pump would make a good upgrade?
If your looking for a Higher pressure pump, Yes. there is a considerable difference of pressure from a 4.0 vs. a 4.7V8. since the application is for a 2.5, be careful of the high pressure line. it might not be able to handle that pressure. The reason for the difference in pressures is that the 02 WJ is equipped with a hydraulic radiator fan controlled by the Powersteering pump.
GEAR INLET SPECIFICATIONS 4.0L & 4.7L

ENGINE RELIEF PRESSURE ± 50 psi FLOW RATE (GPM) 4.0L 9653 kPa (1400 psi) 1500 RPM 2.4 - 2.8 GPM 4.7L 9997 kPa (1450 psi)
PUMP MOTOR SPECIFICATIONS 4.7L

ENGINE RELIEF PRESSURE ± 50 psi FLOW RATE (GPM) 4.7L 13100 kPa (1900 psi) 1100 RPM 2.4-2.8 GPM Minimum @ 200 psi

I hate to Hijack this thread but didn't I read somewhere that you could use a early 90's Dodge Dakota Power steering pump in a 97-06 TJ?

I hate to Hijack this thread but didn't I read somewhere that you could use a early 90's Dodge Dakota Power steering pump in a 97-06 TJ?

That may be possible. I dont know how much pressure it produces though. i could only guess that it will be close to what the TJ OEM pump has.

Power steering pump replacement complete. The "check engine" light is off and the noise is gone. Patting myself on the back for correct diagnosis.

:shades:Thanks guys

power steering pump replacement complete. The "check engine" light is off and the noise is gone. Patting myself on the back for correct diagnosis.

:shades:thanks guys
jeepz.com rulezz!!

I compared my '95 2.5L pump to the pump from an '02 WJ v8, close but I don't think it'll work unless I use the '02 attached reservoir. The low pressure side is too different between the two.

I did install a new pump, GenRight underdrive pulley, and a Durango steering box. Easy steering now.

I compared my '95 2.5L pump to the pump from an '02 WJ v8, close but I don't think it'll work unless I use the '02 attached reservoir. The low pressure side is too different between the two.

I did install a new pump, GenRight underdrive pulley, and a Durango steering box. Easy steering now.
I'm glad you finally found a compatible pair that works. What's a GenRight Underdrive pulley?

Man that looks nice.This is the first time i've heard of e'm.

i don't want to jack any threads, but I am looking into putting power steering into my TJ, i can get a complete setup off of a 6cyl wrangler cheap, but can it work on my 2.5, or does anyone know what I would need to do to make it work?

Don't want to sound like an idiot here but I found this thread in looking at PSC website for installing a power steering cooler, and it says to install on the low pressure line in looking at the above diagram I don't see any lines how do I determine which is the low pressure line?

Back