89 Wrangler Fuel Issues

dlh

I just bought an 89 Wrangler with 6 cyl and manual trans. It has a weber carb on it and I have the original as well. When I bought it the guy said it could be tough to start after it sits as it drains back the fuel (?). If it sits for a few days it takes a minute or two of pumping to get it started.

The other day when it was warm all of a sudden it would not run from a stop without giving it a lot of gas and once it was going down the road I could hear a pop or two out the tail pipe. Idled fine and ran ok at over 2000 rpm,s but sucked in the middle. Also seems underpowered compared to my last jeeps. As luck would have it when I pulled in to home after nursing it back it started running fine (!).

It has a new fuel filter but I do not know if I should replace the fuel pump, rebuild the weber carb, go back to the origianl carb or ???

Any idea's would be appreciated.

David

Last edited:

make sure all your grounds are good first, before you start replacing stuff. I've had the same symptoms with my 89 4.2 before on a few different occassions. Turned out to be either the grounding wire was rotten from the fire wall to the block, the negative cable on the battery was loose, or the nut on the starter relay had rattled loose.

An easy way to tell if it's electrical in this case is to turn the lights on while you're driving. If it makes it worse that's your problem. If it also happens when you hit your brakes (and your brake lights come on) then you've got an electrical problem.

Just want to rule this out first before you start spending money.

X2.. Do a process of elimination..Re-install the old carburator and see if the symptom changes. If it does, you've pretty much isolated the source of the problem. If it doesn't, start checking your electrical system relevant to the ignition and fuel system.

Ditto on the above answers and another thing to check is a kinked fuel line hose. One drove me about NUTS once as it would run fine until a little 3 inch section of hose would get warm enough to kink and partially collapse. Then as it cooled down, it flowed fine. :redface:

Back