Oversized spare tire carrier.

JETSJEEP

I need to mount a 33" tire on my sons 2005 Jeep Wrangler. Ive seen brackets that are heavy-duty replacements. Im looking for the best possible set-up including the 3rd brake light extender. Any info greatly appreciated.

You should go with a tire swing and eliminate the bracket on the rear door.A tire that size weighs to much for the rear door hinges.

For the bumper and tire carrier there is stuff like this.

Rugged Ridge RRC Rear Bumper with Hitch and Swingout Tire Carrier for 87-06 Jeep® Wrangler YJ & TJ - Quadratec

If you wanted to keep the 3rd brake light either mod the one you have or there is this.

Body Armor JK-5120 - Body Armor 3rd Brake Light Kit for 97-09 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK & Unlimited - Quadratec

You should go with a tire swing and eliminate the bracket on the rear door.A tire that size weighs to much for the rear door hinges.

For the bumper and tire carrier there is stuff like this.

Rugged Ridge RRC Rear Bumper with Hitch and Swingout Tire Carrier for 87-06 Jeep® Wrangler YJ & TJ - Quadratec

If you wanted to keep the 3rd brake light either mod the one you have or there is this.

Body Armor JK-5120 - Body Armor 3rd Brake Light Kit for 97-09 Jeep® Wrangler TJ, JK & Unlimited - Quadratec

Tony thanks alot for the info I wasnt really looking to spend $1000 ie tire,rim and bumper carrier,3rd brake light,also looking to retain the factory 3rd brake light.

I wasnt sure about the weight approx 90lbs. Ive seen many out there that run the bigger tire/wheel combo. And ive never noticed the entire bumper set-up.

Anyone else?

There is cheaper bumpers and tire swings out there.As far as using the original easy thing to do is to make a spacer to go under the 3rd brake light and use longer bolts.I have 31" tires which do fit under the brake light but are tight so I just used a thick washer between the tire bracket and the light to raise it up another inch.I did use 3" bolts encase I ever need to raise it higher.

There is a guy on ebay that sells heavy duty bumper/tire carriers in the $200-$300 range, I bought mine from him and it is at least as heavy duty as anything Warn makes. It took about month to get here, but it's a good option if you don't want to drop $500+ on a bumper/tire carrier.

The hinges should hold a 33" tire without problems; the main issue are the fact that ussually you need to extend the bump stops so that the tire does not vibrate on the carrier. In case of YJ's (which have the weaker style hinges), you may have to lift the tailgate a bit to close it, but it will not fail. I know many people that have run this setup for years without problems (and they DO wheel their Jeeps!), and I have started running it as well this year.

NOTHING seems to be working guys...........:x

I purchased the Ridge Runner bracket it pushes the tire way far away from the gate. It looks like it will bend the gate immediately.

I purchsed the Tera-Flex 3rd brake light extender it doesnt clear the 33" tire.

I tried to mount the tire on the stock spare tire carrier. I can mount it but I cant close the tailgate as the tire sits 1"-2" below the bumper.

HELP

The key is to extend the bumpstops so that the tire does not wiggle while you drive. I also had to extend mine, and I am extending the bump stops with a piece of ABS rod (spent about $15 online for it).

As for the 3rd light extender, in my case, I cut out a piece of the original front bumper, and it worked out quite nicely.

as far as the 3rd brake light.I just got longer bolts and some steel spacers and raised it up,but I was only trying to clear a 31" tire.

you know....unless he has lockers he doesnt need a full size spare. he can run a 31" as a temp like most cars do. (you've seen the little 50mph tire)

I wanted to put this tire on for looks and practicality. Im not looking to rig anything up. Id like to do it the right way,without spending a fortune for a bumper carrier.

Other suggestions have been to have the rear bumper cut as far as the tire hangs down.

The tire stuck out really far with the bracket on. Wont that eventually bend the tailgate and the hinges over time,regardless if I extended the rubber bumpers or not?

The tire stuck out really far with the bracket on. Wont that eventually bend the tailgate and the hinges over time,regardless if I extended the rubber bumpers or not?

As long as the tire does not wiggle around, you should be OK. I have the same dilema, and I am doing/did 3 things: (1) I use an extension for the stock carrier so the tire stics out a little more so it does not hit the rear bumper (that's already on): (2) I bought some 1" ABS rod and cut it to lengt to extend the rear bump stops so that they hold the tire and it does not wiggle around; (3) I bought a set of TJ hinges, which are a bit stronger, to replace the YJ hinges.

I have yet to install the hinges, but I know of a couple of people runing 33" spare in the stock carrier without issues for a good couple of years. You do have to lift the tailgate a bit when you close it, but it should hold up OK even with the stock hinges.

Felipe

Thanks alot guys. Nothing is ever easy. I thought by spending the money and getting the brackets things would get easier...they didnt.

After viewing the tire sitting so far away from the tailgate with the bracket on all I thought of was the gate flexing because the weight is so far away. The last thing I want to do is ruin a Jeep thats is basically in mint condition.

Im back to the drawing board with this mess. Worse case scenario the 33" spare on rim sits in the garage and the stocker goes back on with a cover.

I put 33's on a YJ and it BENT THE TAILGATE. I fab'd a bumper/swing mount from 2"X4" rect tube and 2"X2" square tubing. My hinge was a nipple with bushing over a 3/4" bolt welded to bumper. :shock:

I think I spent about 60 bucks and a little sweat.

I'm running a 31" spare with an adapter, no extended bumpstops... is that gonna cause any serious problems?

Todays plan...........

Im going to have the stock bumper cut and notched and repainted and metal replaced like the newer Jeeps.

This way I could mount the tire to the stock spare tire carrier and only have to extend the rubber mounts,using oem ones that I cut to size. I may also put some type of support under the tire maybe an additional rubber bumper mounted to the bumper.

Does anyone know if the 2005 Wrangler bumpers are powder-coated?

Ive exhausted all my options. I will advise and try to post pics when done.

The 33's are too much for the tailgate, get a rear tire swing. i just replaced my 3rd brake light with a replacement trailer brake light, $8 in wiring accesories, ans an $.50 L bracket form the hardware store. Prefab 3rd brakelight extenders do exist imost catalogs for about $80...your choice. If you choose a tire swing they will have a place to mount it on the top most area.

good luck!!!

Back