timing belt

tricky-1948

:redface: hi all
well I have it the 100.000 miles on my cherokee sport 2.4 2002 and have never change the timing belt, so I need all the help I can get. where do I start ? or is it a job for the garage, hope not as I am out of work,it would help if I could find some pic`s so I can see what I am looking at, and if someone could point me in the right direction that would be a good start, Do I buy the timing belt from the main dealer ? or patten part only in the UK we seem to pay double for all the part`s here well there it is help is needed.
many thanks to all regards Tricky

Hey Tricky, its a chain, not a belt. Unless you are having problems with it don't sweat it.

If that's the same 2.4L they put in the '03 Wranglers, then it is indeed a belt and I would recommend changing it at 100,000 miles. Just got back from the mountains, and my Jeep (2.4L '03 Wrangler) jumped time just outside of Chattanooga, TN. Spent a night in Trenton, GA while my Jeep was having the timing belt replaced. Fortunately, that was the only damage - valves, pistons, and heads survived intact. I got lucky and learned a valuable lesson.

80cb5401-1.gif

REMOVAL - TIMING BELT

1. Remove air cleaner upper cover, housing, and clean air tube.
  2. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  3. Remove accessory drive belts. )
  4. Remove crankshaft vibration damper.
  5. Remove air conditioner/generator belt tensioner and pulley assembly.
  6. Remove timing belt lower front cover bolts and remove cover.
  7. Lower vehicle.
  8. Remove bolts attaching timing belt upper front cover and remove cover. CAUTION: When aligning crankshaft and camshaft timing marks always rotate engine from crankshaft. Camshaft should not be rotated after timing belt is removed. Damage to valve components may occur. Always align timing marks before removing timing belt.
  9. Before the removal of the timing belt, rotate crankshaft until the TDC mark on oil pump housing aligns with the TDC mark on crankshaft sprocket (trailing edge of sprocket tooth).NOTE: The crankshaft sprocket TDC mark is located on the trailing edge of the sprocket tooth. Failure to align trailing edge of sprocket tooth to TDC mark on oil pump housing will cause the camshaft timing marks to be misaligned.
  10. Install 6 mm Allen wrench into belt tensioner. Before rotating the tensioner, insert the long end of a 1/8” or 3 mm Allen wrench into the pin hole on the front of the tensioner . While rotating the tensioner counterclockwise, push in lightly on the 1/8” or 3 mm Allen wrench, until it slides into the locking hole.
  11. Remove timing belt.

Yeah, I thought I heard that was a current production "car engine" used in some MOPARs. It has an aluminum head, powdered metal connecting rods, and a timing belt. Guess they were trying to reduce the number of engines in production and discontinued the all-iron 4 banger. The JK also has a "car engine" in it from what I've heard. The last old school Jeep engines were discontinued in 06 (the 4.0L).

As far as changing the belt... If you follow the directions and are careful you should have no problem. If the timing belt also drives the water pump you might consider changing that too. Also consider changing any idler pulleys and the tensioner. Best of luck - John

hi all thank`s for all your help have taken it all on board.
I did intend to change the idle pulley and the belt tensioner plus the water pump but the bad new`s is in the UK the price`s of part`s the belt tensioner is £185+vat the water pump is £67+vat the only cheap part was the timing belt at £38 so that will have to do unless when I have striped it down it show`s any trouble then I will have to buy rest,
Anyway thank`s to all for your help and hopefully all will go well as it`s the bank holiday weekend this week and I shall be doing the jeep then so once again many many thank`s for all your help.
tricky= Richard :???:

Hi all would Just like to thank you all for the help and comment`s about changing the timing belt on my Cherokee sport 2.4 2002.
for though`s who will be doing the same job.
first you will need a puller for the crankshaft pulley a long round insert just smaller than the crankshaft bolt which help`s pull the crank pulley right off very very tight.
when it come to putting the crankshaft pulley back on you are going to need a longer bolt as the standard bolt is to sort for pulling the crank shaft pulley on if you heat the center of the pulley first, but to hot this will save you a lot of time and trouble as it is a very tight fit.

Job done first time for me took me 2 day`s but as they say Rome was not built in a day. But saved me £585 + VAT = £688.24 pound`s dealership PRICE

thank`s to all for the help that was given :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: tricky

Back