How do I adjust the choke on my YJ?

MrWant

I know this sounds stupid, but... how do I adjust the choke? I've tried every position possible it seems. It starts perfect cold or hot. But when it's cooled down for 10 or 15 minutes, it has to crank over for 30 seconds, which is a longgggg time. It's a new carb. New wires, plugs, replaced the distributor, and the electronic ignition, yet it's still hard to start when cool. My old carb used to start it immediately, but it gave me about 5mpg. Now I'm getting 3 to 4 times that, but I fear I'll drive the pistons through the hood one of those days after it finally does start. And, usually when it does start, I've got black smoke (black smoke comes from flooding I guess). Please somebody, tell me how to adjust the choke! I've done the Nutter bypass as well. The engine is a lot smoother, etc., but that starting issue is making me hate the vehicle. Is this normal for the Almighty crap called Carter? Who votes for me using a Ford carb? I can pick those up for nothing.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I don´t know wether yours is the same or not. But with mine, I have to be careful about my routine when starting a warm motor. My cold start routine is, pump the gas a couple of times and start her up (almost always works). Warm start, hit the starter, without touching the gas, if it doesn´t start on the first try, pump the pedal once and retry (most always works).
Initial setting for the choke should be one notch rich (maybe two on an old bi-metal coil).[addsig]

Thanks! I'll try your suggestions. It's really bothersome! I think I'll just take the hood off for a couple of days and keep turning the choke adjustment. Hee hee. :-D [addsig]

I did find the shaft for the choke valve (butterfly) sticking once. And also found where the connecting rod for the choke and choke valve had worn in a little and would hang occasionally. A little lubrication occasioally seemed to help.[addsig]

Being an old thread its still on the forum .When you are surfing thru and find something like this there may people doing a search and come across it .Any info whether new or old can be helpful

Back