CJ-5 Slide-In Camper

JohnnyO

I got a showroom brochure of this when I was kid, around 1970 or thereabouts. Found this pic recently to post on another board. It's a slide-in camper with a tag axle. The middle rear tire is the spare. Scarce as hen's teeth these days. Wasn't sure if you guys knew this ever existed so I thought I'd toss it up.

Attachments

• CJ-5_camper.jpg
    CJ-5_camper.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 34,050

Cool! Doesn't look safe.......and probably wouldn't be allowed on highways today........but still......COOL!!!!

It's amazing what's been tried generations back. One of those little teardrop trailers would work good with a Wrangler or CJ too because of the new available materials these days, they can be built even lighter.

Cool collector's item... My first thought was, OK... let's make the narrow track CJ 5 even more tippy... But I see that the camper axle has a wider track than the Jeep so I guess it was not too bad. Tight turns would try to break apart the camper unless those wheels "trail-steer" (like some truck tag axles do). - John

Cool! Doesn't look safe.......and probably wouldn't be allowed on highways today........but still......COOL!!!!
I dunno. Probably be legal, but imagine towing that with a Buick V6 and 3-speed stick, which was the top powertrain of the day.
Originally I found that pic when someone on the Sport Trac board (I have a Sport Trac too) asked if there was a slide-in camper for them. I said no, but here's an idea....

I have seen a LOT of Jeep configurations and after market stuff. This was a first, very cool.

Back