4 Lo Problems

Wranglerman21

I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler with the Dana 44 rear and 30 up front. I put a 3 inch lift in and had to adjust the 4 wheel drive shift lever. Im having problems with my 4 Lo. When i put it in 4 lo there are some noises coming from the front end. i know its not the spider gears, but it is making a clunking noise when you crawl over something. Im hoping that its not the transfer case but im not sure. 4 high works fine.................. Hopefully someone can help me.:???:

You sure the sound is from inside the axle, and not from something loose/clanking from the lift being installed? Just a thought. I don't think you should of had to adjust the linkage to the transfercase. If you did it because the lever was hitting your floor pan, then cut/grind the floor pan. Don't adjust the linkage to cure that problem.

Its the Rough country 3 inch lift (suspension lift) with the 2.2 shocks. im not sure where the noise is coming from but when its in 4 high i dont have any noises. I was wondering if it was the transfter case 4 lo.

4-low requires the shifter to go back further than 4-high or neutral. I bet hitting the tub is your problem. Seems suspect that the problem occured right after the lift went on. Did you put a transfercase drop kit on?? That will put the shifter back toward the tub for sure. If it's enought to be a problem is a case by case basis. The sound may be from when you adjusted the linkage. Just a thought. LAter!

The problem is that im not sure if the problem was there before i put the lift in. im gunna put it up on the lift tomorrow night and take a good look. thaks for the help!

I dont see how a suspension lift would affect this; maybe I am dumb, but I just dont see it...

I dont see how a suspension lift would affect this; maybe I am dumb, but I just dont see it...
A transfer case drop is often installed with a suspension lift, creating necessary linkage adjustments. The bellcrank can also be in a bind if a relocation bracket is not used.

A transfer case drop is often installed with a suspension lift, creating necessary linkage adjustments. The bellcrank can also be in a bind if a relocation bracket is not used.

OK, now I see it; I was thinking CV shaft, so did not consider the TC drop...

I don't think he should of had to adjust the linkage any. It moved down with the transmission/transfercase when the drop kit was installed. It was never removed (unbolted) from where it was before the lift. But he says: " I put a 3 inch lift in and had to adjust the 4 wheel drive shift lever". No adjustment should of had to of been made IMO. Did you adjust it because it was not shifting all the way into 4-Low?

Yea, i was having a hard time keeping it in 4 lo. and the 4wd lever didnt go all of the way down to its correct location. I did put the Transfer case drop that came with the lift. It sounds to me its not getting into 4 lo correctly but when i pull the lever back to 4 high i have to push it forward about half an inch to get it into 4 high.......it acts like it wants to pop out of 4 lo when its under stress/strain.

Sounds like it needs more adjustment, as if it's not fully engaging 4lo.

bobcat481, the TJ's transfer case linkage is mounted to both the tub and the transfer case. Any drop in the transfer case, or a body lift, will change the linkage throw and put the bellcrank in a bind.

Wranglerman21, did you install the drop bracket on the tub side of the transfer case linkage after installing the transfer case drop?

No, the only drop piece that i put in was the transfer case drop. I havnet heard of a "Tub Drop" Thanks so much for all of the help!!! Im going to put it on the lift tomorrow and hopefully figure it out.....wish me luck.!:???:

The bracket looks like the image below, and attaches to the tub side of the transfer case linkage. It basically lowers the hole for the bellcrank about 1".
shifterbracket-1.jpg

Well, now I would have never thought that the t/c linkage would have been directly bolted to t/c AS WELL as the tub. But, I don't know TJ's. Sorry I'm old school. Just for my own knowledge, how can the transmission/transfercase be mechanically connected to the tub (other than a boot) without binding/breaking under use. I know there is minimal movement between the two, but there is movement. Especially under heavy torque situations. Maybe I am picturing this set-up wrong in my mind. Please enlighted me. Later

Hey! I adjusted my linkage and everything is good to go. No more poping out of 4Lo and no more noises. I just wanted to say Thanks to all you motorheads out therer that are willing to help!

Well, now I would have never thought that the t/c linkage would have been directly bolted to t/c AS WELL as the tub. But, I don't know TJ's. Sorry I'm old school. Just for my own knowledge, how can the transmission/transfercase be mechanically connected to the tub (other than a boot) without binding/breaking under use. I know there is minimal movement between the two, but there is movement. Especially under heavy torque situations. Maybe I am picturing this set-up wrong in my mind. Please enlighted me. Later
It's a pretty screwed up design straight from the factory, they never should have changed the linkage from the YJ design mounted to the transfer case only. There are a few companies selling brackets to delete the tub mounted side of the linkage.

Here's a pic of the linkage, this one shows the bellcrank between the transfer case and tub tweaked upward from the install of a belly-up skid. A transfer case drop or body lift tweaks the bellcrank in the other direction.
image-missing.png

I see. I would have never of guessed it. Looks way to complicated of a part for such a simple mechanical movement. I do see now how he would of had to adjust the linkage. My bad. Just out of curiosity, are the mounts the same on a YJ on the t/c....i.e., could a guy if he wanted to do away with the TJ setup and use a YJ bracket and shifter? Just wondering. Later

I think so, with some modification on where the shifter comes through the TJ console. There's a Teraflex bracket to delete the tub side of the linkage that runs about $60, not a bad piece. Bolts right on the 4.0L auto, needs a little modification for the 4.0L 5spd.

Back