yj keeps running, running, running

cycop183

a buddy just called. he has a 90 yj with a 2.5 . he said he shuts the key off and it just keeps running. he replaced the ignition switch, and it didnt help! any ideas? finally glad i sat down and registered, i think this site rocks... :lol: [addsig]

Keeps running, as in running, or does it deisel for a bit after he shuts it off. Can he drive it after he turns it off. How is he killing it? If he just stalls it to kill it is he haveing problems with the battery going down? When he turns it off does the switched electrial items keep working? Welcome to the boards and Yes in deed theis site does Rock. tug :cool: [addsig]

well, tug, its not doing the deisel, it will run and drive with the new switch in the off position. he kills it by unhooking the battery. glad its not mine, i prefer clanks, grinding, and major failure over electrical.. :-D [addsig]

Might want to take a look at the starter relay, little silver box up on the firewall, near the battery in my YJ I-6. Alot of things come together there and have found mine full of water and dirt,mud,rust and what not. Un bolt it and give it a shake (not sealed well) and see if any water flies out, blow it out with air around the edge of the insulator board, and check and see if anything comes out. If you open it up, gotta be careful or you can break some fine wires.[addsig]

I guess I'd rather have a jeep that wouldn't shut off than a jeep that wouldn't start :-D [addsig]

Does it have an Auto starter or did it? When I first got my YJ it had prevously had an auto starter in it. The poor little bugger just didn't want to turn off (I knew he kept wanting to run, jeeps sure do like logging roads), so I finally went under the dash and started searching. I finally found a little grey box not on any scymatics. So, I cut it out and its been fine eversince. Auto starters, from what I've heard, tend to do this after their insides corrode. Hope ya find the problem.

Paul[addsig]

Back