No 4WD light on 2000 TJ

PhattyX

...and by that I mean, the 4WD light doesn't exist on the dash board.

Four wheel LO and HI both function fine, but no light comes on. When I looked closely, there were indicators that said "Part Time" and "Full Time" I think. It also looked like the indicator that I've seen described as the SKIM.

What year did the SKIM start? Did Jeep use newer parts in some of the end of the run 2000 Wranglers? At this point, I assuming this is a guage cluster from a newer Jeep.

On a side note, where does the odometer get the reading to display? In other words, would a replaced guage cluster show the correct mileage... or the mileage from the Jeep it came from?

Thanks,

-X

Only the part-time light should activate on your jeep when 4wd is engaged, triggered by a switch on the transfer case.

You will have to elaborate on the SKIM, don't know that acronym.

The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module was introduced in the early 98 TJ builds. Although the cluster may have the symbol, it doesnt mean that it's equipped. The lamp should not illuminate if the vehicle is not equipped with that option. The illumination is triggered by the SKIM module through bus communications.
If your factory key is gray in color, then your Jeep is equipped with this option.
The cluster has it's own EPROM memory built in with the circuit board and stores the VIN configuration and Odometer. Although the PCM , TCM and also the BCM(GC's) also stores the VIN and Odometer, these modules involved compares and shares the information between themselves. If you transfer a cluster from a same year make and model Jeep, the modules involved will trigger a DTC for a vin configuration mismatch and also a Odometer mismatch from the PCM. To repair this issue, you would have to take it to a qualified shop equipped with the correct scantool thats capable of programming the Vin and Odometer to the cluster.

My 4 wheel light never worked either,but the 5 wheel drive does,could be as easy as a bad bulb.I was never concerned about the light.

Try this. I just learned about this myself. While pushing the odometer button turn your key on and off three times. You will see all the gages and lights cycle on and off. There you'll find if you have a 4X4 light or not.

Try this. I just learned about this myself. While pushing the odometer button turn your key on and off three times. You will see all the gages and lights cycle on and off. There you'll find if you have a 4X4 light or not.

I did try this and it does run threw some sort of test.Checks all gauges,not sure if it checks all lights.It never lit up my brake light which I know works since I replaced brake lines a few weeks ago and the light was on.It also did not check the blinker lights,neither of my 4 wheel lights turned on or the ABS light.These 3 I do not no if they work.Does this test turn on those lights?

Does this test check these lights?

Lights that did not turn on:
Brake
Part time 4
Full time 4
ABS

The diagnosis found here addresses an inoperative Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) lamp condition. If the ABS lamp stays on with the ignition switch in the On position, or comes on and stays on while driving, refer to Antilock Brakes in the Diagnosis and Testing section of Group 5 - Brakes for diagnosis. If no ABS problem is found, the following procedure will help locate a short or open in the ABS lamp circuit. For complete circuit descriptions, refer to Instrument Cluster in the Contents of Group 8W - Wiring Diagrams.
  1. Check the fused ignition switch output (run/start) fuse in the fuseblock module. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) fuse in the fuseblock module. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit to the ignition switch as required.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and within five seconds check for continuity between the ABS warning indicator driver circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector A and a good ground. There should be continuity for five seconds after ignition On, and then an open circuit. If OK, replace the faulty bulb. If not OK, go to Step 4.
  4. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB) wire harness connector. Check for continuity between the ABS warning indicator driver circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector A and a good ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 5. If not OK, repair the shorted ABS warning indicator driver circuit as required.
  5. Check for continuity between the ABS warning indicator driver circuit cavities of the instrument cluster wire harness connector A and the CAB wire harness connector. There should be continuity. If OK, refer to Antilock Brakes in the Diagnosis and Testing section of Group 5 - Brakes for diagnosis of the CAB. If not OK, repair the open ABS warning indicator driver circuit as required.
BRAKE WARNING LAMP

The diagnosis found here addresses an inoperative brake warning lamp condition. If the brake warning lamp stays on with the ignition switch in the On position and the park brake released, or comes on while driving, refer to Base Brake System for vehicles not equipped with the four wheel anti-lock brake system, or refer to Antilock Brakes for vehicles equipped with the four wheel anti-lock brake system in the Diagnosis and Testing section of Group 5 - Brakes for further diagnosis. If no brake system problem is found, the following procedure will help locate a short or open circuit, or a faulty switch. For complete circuit diagrams, refer to Instrument Cluster in the Contents of Group 8W - Wiring Diagrams.
  1. Check the fused ignition switch output (run/start) fuse in the fuseblock module. If OK, go to Step 2. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  2. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) fuse in the fuseblock module. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the open fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit to the ignition switch as required.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the wire harness connector at the park brake switch. With the park brake released, check for continuity between the park brake switch terminal and a good ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, adjust or replace the faulty park brake switch.
  4. Disconnect the wire harness connector at the brake warning switch. Check for continuity between the two terminals of the brake warning switch. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 5. If not OK, replace the faulty brake warning switch.
  5. Check for continuity between each of the two brake warning switch terminals and a good ground. In each case, there should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, replace the faulty brake warning switch.
  6. With both the park brake switch and the brake warning switch wire harness connectors still disconnected, check for continuity between the red brake warning indicator driver circuit cavity of the park brake switch wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 7. If not OK, repair the shorted red brake warning indicator driver circuit as required.
  7. With the ignition switch held in the Start position, check for continuity between the red brake warning indicator driver circuit cavity of the park brake switch wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, repair the open red brake warning indicator driver circuit to the ignition switch as required.
  8. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Remove the instrument cluster. Check for continuity between the red brake warning indicator driver circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector A and a good ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 9. If not OK, repair the shorted red brake warning indicator driver circuit as required.
  9. Check for continuity between the red brake warning indicator driver circuit cavities of the instrument cluster wire harness connector A and the brake warning switch wire harness connector. There should be continuity. If OK, replace the faulty bulb. If not OK, repair the open red brake warning indicator driver circuit as required.
FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE INDICATOR LAMP

The diagnosis found here addresses an inoperative four-wheel drive indicator lamp condition. If the problem being diagnosed is related to lamp accuracy, be certain to confirm that the problem is with the lamp or switch and not with a damaged or inoperative transfer case or transfer case linkage. Refer to NV231 Diagnosis in the Diagnosis and Testing section of Group 21 - Transmission for more information. If no transfer case problem is found, the following procedure will help locate a short or open in the indicator lamp circuit. For complete circuit diagrams, refer to Instrument Cluster in Group 8W - Wiring Diagrams.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Disconnect the transfer case switch wire harness connector. Check for continuity between the ground circuit cavity of the transfer case switch wire harness connector and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the open ground circuit to ground as required.
  4. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Install a jumper wire between the part time four wheel drive indicator lamp driver circuit cavity of the transfer case switch wire harness connector and a good ground. The four-wheel drive indicator lamp should light. If OK, replace the faulty transfer case switch. If not OK, go to Step 5.
  5. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster. With the transfer case switch wire harness connector still disconnected, check for continuity between the part time four wheel drive indicator lamp driver circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector B and a good ground. There should be no continuity. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the shorted part time four wheel drive indicator lamp driver circuit as required.
  6. Check for continuity between the part time four wheel drive indicator lamp driver circuit cavities of the instrument cluster wire harness connector B and the transfer case switch wire harness connector. There should be continuity. If OK, replace the faulty bulb. If not OK, repair the open part time four wheel drive indicator lamp driver circuit as required.

Thanks for all the input guys. Since the 4 wheel Hi and Lo work fine, I'm going to take the chance that the lack of a light is something simple, like the bulb, fuse, or the switch at the case.

Thanks again,

X

I did try this and it does run threw some sort of test.Checks all gauges,not sure if it checks all lights.It never lit up my brake light which I know works since I replaced brake lines a few weeks ago and the light was on.It also did not check the blinker lights,neither of my 4 wheel lights turned on or the ABS light.These 3 I do not no if they work.Does this test turn on those lights?

Does this test check these lights?

Lights that did not turn on:
Brake
Part time 4
Full time 4
ABS

Okay I have a 2005 LJ and I don't know how different if any a 2000TJ's dash. For me the 4X4 lit after the low gas light. My ABS lit although I don't have ABS. The Break did come on. The blinkers were not checked and I don't have the full or part time 4WD lights. I took a flashlight and looked closely at my dash and noted some lights that are not activated, like front locked and rear locked that are likely if it was a Rubicon with lockers.

Back