Problems noted with Rough Country 4" TJ lift...

jtm703

First, it didn't come with bump-stop extensions. I used the ones that came with my old 2" lift, but I'm afraid I might have to find a solution once I upgrade from 32" to 33" tires.

Second, when the instructions want to you bend a T-case shift linkage tab...the tab wouldn't bend! The picture didn't match what was on my '03. Jeep may have used a thicker steel for these on later TJ models. Instead, the nipple that connected the tab to the linkage had to be ground down a bit. This only gave me about 1/16" clearance between the nipple and the bolt on the mount assembly, but it's enough to get it in and out of 4 low.

Also, I wasn't expecting the steering wheel to be so far out of center once the lift was installed. Makes sense, though, seeing what the lift did to the drag link in relation to the steering box and tie rod. The alignment shop fixed that, of course, it was just not expected and not mentioned in the instructions. (Couldn't drive any faster than 35 on the way to the shop...damn thing tried to shake itself apart!)

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else comes accross the same issues.

In my experience, it seems like anything aftermarket these days automotive just comes with generic directions and alot of guessing is required to install. I just installed a trailer hitch on my XJ and nothing on the instructions made sense the pictures and spec sheets were useless.

As far as the alignment being off, everytime i've lifted something it seems like it needs an alignment. Even though there are 100 people on here that swear they don't need an alignment after lifting.

You should consider a Teraflex or Advance Adapters bracket for the transfer case linkage, it removes the tub side of the linkage which is a stupid design. The Tera bracket only runs about $50 or $60.

You should consider a Teraflex or Advance Adapters bracket for the transfer case linkage, it removes the tub side of the linkage which is a stupid design. The Tera bracket only runs about $50 or $60.

Or if you feel like spending more coin Advance Adapters now makes a cable shifter for the t-case in TJ and JK Wranglers for like $269 that supposedly shifts smooth as silk no matter what.

Back