lockers for YJ

Are you looking for automatic lockers or selectable? Front, rear, or both? Is the jeep street driven or just a toy? Your best bet on automatic lockers are Aussies. That's what I chose to put in the front of my daily driven yj. Very good lockers and the install was very easy.

Detroit, nuff said. If you still have the 35 in the rear you WILL break shafts with 35" tires and a locker. It's not a matter of if but when.

If you want auto lockers, I would do the detroits, as they are probably the strongest. Personally, I prefer selectable lockers, and wlthough you said you dont want ARB, that's what I would recomment. Second on the list would be OX (cable operated ones). I dont know how rough driving with a detroit in the front would be, but for the rear, you WILL need to learn to drive with it...

DETROITS if you want a full case locker. X1000 on the D35 rear, personally, I'd just weld it, why waste the money on a POS rear.

for the front, I would strongly consider swapping to TJ shafts. way stronger than whats in your D30 now, just need to change the pass side seal.

thanks for the info guys, and i would love to be able to put arb's in it but just dont have the money for it right now and im trying to keep this a cheap build and the only problems i have with the jeep right now is that it wont start and its all open diff's.

thanks for the info guys, and i would love to be able to put arb's in it but just dont have the money for it right now and im trying to keep this a cheap build and the only problems i have with the jeep right now is that it wont start and its all open diff's.

If I were you, I would just weld the front and the rear, and use the vacuum disconnect to "unlock" the front. You can't go cheaper than that... And it works well (I know BountyHunter has run that setup in the past with success).

Unless you have a Dana 44 rear DO not put a locker in the rear.
DO NOT up grade this axle dump it for a Scout Dana 44 rear.

Rich I've been told Scout d44's have relatively weak housings when compared to other average d44 axles.

His D35 is the non c-clip d35 and it can generally handle a welded diff very well, and even some locker use with moderately sized tires. It's not near as weak as the later c-clip d35.

I think the whole D35's are junk theme is a bit overdone; yes, they ARE the weak link in a Jeep, but they can handle 33's just fine. If you go higher, then yes, you do need a stronger axle, but if you dont plan to go higher, they can handle themselves fairly well. I have a D35 in the rear with ARB locker and 33's, and I have not had issues (yet!). Of course, that does not mean I will NEVER have issues, but it's not as fragile as some people will lead you to believe... Of course, I wheel in mud, not rocks, so that may also affect the equation.

Felipe

I agree with Felipe... But I wouldn't invest much time or money at all in the D35. Not only will the D35 break shafts but, when you do, you have to deal with the C-clip/drum brake design. If you really want the D35 locked then weld it up and keep your eyes open for a D44 or 8.8 to swap in. D44s are a dime-a-dozen... There are plenty of Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport D44s in the u-pull its with disk brake D44s and 4:10 gears....

The Dana 35 was an AMC axle ,so what does that say?
How is that?

I too don't believe all the negativity associated with the d35, I ran a welded one for years with no problems, beating on it every chance I got. But who am I, I also ran a peugeot BA10/5 transmission behind a built 350 against the advice of all.

Did you guys know that the Land Rover crowd acutally uses de D35 as an UPGRADED rear axle? I mean, I am not saying drop a ton of money on this axle, because it is NOT the strongest axle, and if I had to do my Jeep again, I would probably replace it with a D44 (I would probably do the same for the front), but this has also a lot to do with gearing options and the ability to run larger tires. But still, mine has held up, and until it breaks, it's staying in there...

Rich I've been told Scout d44's have relatively weak housings when compared to other average d44 axles.

His D35 is the non c-clip d35 and it can generally handle a welded diff very well, and even some locker use with moderately sized tires. It's not near as weak as the later c-clip d35.

Ditto and Ditto.
Scout carriers have a low nickle content in the casting.

The non c-clip D35 was a little better than the 90 and on axles. the weak part of most D35's is the gear set and the axle flex. truss it and keep your gearing numerically low (not ideal, but 4.10 are fine) and you can wheel a D35 locked with a 33" tire with some good success, if you got a 4cyl, it will last even longer.

I had a welded D35 and ran it for almost 2 years of hard wheeling with 33's, then went to 35's before it broke.

how is the D35 and AMC axle? it was used in fords as a front axle long before jeep used it in 87?? axle is made by spicer

Back