Sway Bar.....do I need this?

jleland

I figured since I plan on putting my lift kit on this weekend, I'd ask about the sway bar. What exactly is the purpose and do I really need a sway bar? I drive about 5-6 miles on the highway daily with the rest being in town driving (25-40MPH). I've had my YJ for about a year and a half and have yet to go off road. How does the sway bar effect performance as far as articulation, steering, etc.? If this is something I can survive without, I might as well take it off while I got it on stands this weekend.

Unless you wanna go flipping around a curve doing about 40mph,

Removing the swaybar improves front axle articulation and helps improve offroad performance by keeping the tires on the ground. Since you don't take it offroad, you have nothing to gain by removing it.

Should you decide to take it offroad, remove the swaybar and see how you like it while onroad. It's barely noticeable once removed, depending on how stiff the lift springs are. I haven't ran one for years and have never looked back.

Disregard TJ Jeep's advice, that only applies to those jeeps with car springs LOL.

Well I have no curves on any road that I would be driving 40mph on anyway. Bounty, I do plan on taking it offroad. I have alot of people that have offered to let me wheel on their property. Now could I just remove the sway bar links or does the whole apparatus have to come out? Another thing, does the rear track bar have anything to do controlling tire bounce? I'm not sure how to word that.....I notice on some roads, on my way to work, the rear tires will bounce and I get a little bit of a sideways slide. Its not bad, but noticeable. We have some bad roads!!

check out terry masons thread on installing sway bar disconnects" in the build up article section,I think its a good idea.

Track bar can cause side to side movement.Easy way to check is take the weight off the axle and try moving using some force back and fourth.I was getting it in the front when I hit a pot hole once the new track bar was installed problem went away.

Disregard TJ Jeep's advice, that only applies to those jeeps with car springs LOL.[/QUOTE]

You got me there, i don't have a comeback for that one haha.

The rear trackbar does nothing to control the tire bounce you describe, you're simply hitting bumps too fast for the suspension to react quick enough. You can remove the rear trackbar on a YJ with no ill effect.

You can remove just the swaybar endlinks and tie the swaybar up out of the way, at least until you're sure removing the swaybar is a good option for you. Once you're ready, it's not difficult to remove the entire swaybar.

Ok Bounty, you say tie it out of the way....do you mean like with wire or somethin? I'm gonna start takin stuff off tomorrow afternoon and I want everything to work right. You guys let me know if I'm askin too many questions.

Yes tie it out of the way.I use tie straps easy enough to cut when I go to put them back on.I have a TJ so I dont dare drive on the road with out them.

Back