rear pinion

Green97TJ

ok, i just recently found out that my rear pinion seal is leakin... bad. So i was just wonder how much this is going to cost me and how hard it will be for me to do myself? Im going to go ahead and change the fluid in both differentials while im at it. I think i can handle it even if it is pretty tough (which i doubt) because my auto mechanics teacher will let me do it in class and help. But i just wanted opinions on difficulty/cost.

thanks
Nathan[addsig]

pinion seal is only a few bucks... diff oil is quite simple.. drain and fill... the seal can be pulled out with a cheesy "seal puller" that will bend and break when you try to use it... or you can use vice grips and get it out easily... putting it back in is as simple as slipping it over your pinion and tapping it tight.[addsig]

Wire brush and oil all the threads you can see. When taking the nut off, if it comes hard after the first half turn or so, feel the nut with your finger, if they come off really hard they heat up and can strip the threads.
Your vehicle is fairly new. But with the tires removed, with an inch pound torque wrench, turn the big nut on the pinion yoke (record the reading, remember the feel). After you get it all torgether, check it with the inch pound torque wrench again. If things tighten up much, it can cause overheating of the bearings. [addsig]

Back