injector upgrade?

What year 4.0L engine?

I run Ford 302 injectors in my 2.5L engine from a mid '90s Crown Vic. Switching from the single nozzle jeep injector to the quad nozzle of the Ford injector really smoothed the jeep out.

Bounty Hunter, can you give some more details on that? I got a 2.5 in my YJ, any upgrade to it would be nice.

i have used ford 5.0 and 4.6l injectors as upgrades in multiple cars because of hte design change and sometimes because they have a higher flow. you can pull from the f150, f250, e150, e250, crown vic, grand marquis, mustang and probably others too

Well, i have a 97 4.0. the ones that were in it were grey, and the ones i put in are orange. they look the same other than color. it seems to load up or something. if everything i did to lean it out, and be more fuel efficient, its really adding fuel. im going back to stock. its smooth enough without them. thanks for input.

Well, i have a 97 4.0. the ones that were in it were grey, and the ones i put in are orange. they look the same other than color. it seems to load up or something. if everything i did to lean it out, and be more fuel efficient, its really adding fuel. im going back to stock. its smooth enough without them. thanks for input.

Could you go into a bit more detail you kind of lost me. Were you trying to lean it out or you had in the past and now your back to normal.. Or not:scratch:

Last edited:
A lean condition does in no way mean better fuel mileage. The benefit of installing different injectors is to increase power output if the engine is modified to the point where it can burn the extra fuel. More power means the engine has to work less, and can possibly mean better mileage IF you can keep your foot out of it.

Could you go into a bit more detail you kind of lost me. Were you trying to lean it out or you had in the past and now your back to normal.. Or not:scratch:
i have fuel max performance chip(which says it changes the air intake temp sensor, to lean it out for better gas milage), intake system,machined throttle body, accel super coil , banks full exaust= better gas milage. then i added the injectors, and it backfires kinda, but not exaust,(loading up). so im gonna take the 302 injectors out to see if it still does it or something else is doing it. also i felt no more power, or nothing smoother about it. is it just for the 2.5? they were out of late eightys bronco,maybe there just old and beat or not the good ones. if i have to, ill take the fuel max performance chip out,think its doing the opposite as everything else?

Last edited:

i have fuel max performance chip(which says it changes the air intake temp sensor, to lean it out for better gas milage), intake system,machined throttle body, accel super coil , banks full exaust= better gas milage. then i added the injectors, and it backfires kinda, but not exaust,(loading up). so im gonna take the 302 injectors out to see if it still does it or something else is doing it. also i felt no more power, or nothing smoother about it. is it just for the 2.5? they were out of late eightys bronco,maybe there just old and beat or not the good ones. if i have to, ill take the fuel max performance chip out,think its doing the opposite as everything else?

Can't comment on the chip. I have heard more no effect, than real positive on any chip.
Anyway, When you did the swap did all the o-rings come off with the old injectors? Did all the new injectors seat? Could it be a leaky seal or dirty injector? All might not be lost.

Last edited:
If you want accurate detail on what the engine is doing, pick up an AFR gauge like the JET model that uses the OEM o2 sensor.

I upgraded to the ford bosch injectors once mine started leaking down i have a 92 cherokee. Helped with starting and mileage a bit. The 4.0l run real lean from factory to help with emissions. And a little fuel goes a long way. The injectors will make the biggest difference with better exhaust and an adjustable map sensor. The computer will just cut the pulse width to get it back to lean without the adjustable map. You can also trick it with a resistor in the temp sensor to trick it to stay in cold engine fuel maps which is alot richer.

Back