Alternator/battery problem

cali_92

I drive a 92 jeep wrangler with a 2.5. Long story short alternator bad got a new one got a new battery at the same time old one was bad outdated etc
My problem is I'm having the same problem as b4 which is the alternator isn't charging my battery and everything is just running off my battery. Resulting in killing my battery and jeep won't start run etc.
Help. Suggestions please and thank you.

Have you had your battery tested ? Sometimes when that happens it kills the battery and it won't take a charge .

New battery haven't had it tested. Going outside right now to take out the battery and altenator to have them tested.

But i just bought the battery and altenator yesterday and put it in. The only other thing I can think of is a major draw

Sorry about that missed the part about the new battery !! Does the gauge show that the alternator is charging ?

Loose or dirty connections will do the same thing. Do you have any extras added to the electrical system like lights, amp, radios...? If so how are they connected. Do you have a good ground on both the battery and the alternator?

The gauge for the battery shows it slowly depleting meaning it's not charging.

I could have a bad starter/ with a short imam have to check that next

I need to locate all the grounds and check them. I do have an amp and sub I kno where that ground is. My radio and amp were shorted out when this all happened had to put new fuses in. Idk if that could help sol e the problem.

I have the battery charged and tested. And altenator tested today and both r good.

cali_92 said:

I need to locate all the grounds and check them. I do have an amp and sub I kno where that ground is. My radio and amp were shorted out when this all happened had to put new fuses in. Idk if that could help sol e the problem.

I have the battery charged and tested. And altenator tested today and both r good.

Kinda wierd for the bat and alter to die like this but when and whoever put the new radio in may have cut wires and left em bare take the radio out and check all the wires make sure none are bare one wire should come from the dimmer switch to the radio to dim it to but mostly your gauge lights would go out to what fuse blew

Few things to check.
1.) Be sure the connections from the alternator , both power and ground have good clean metal to metal connections.
2.) With a multi meter measure the battery voltage both with engine off and engine running. report the #'s back
3.) with the multi meter measure current off the battery. It should be low ( less then 100mA) with the engine off. report back the #'s. If you have a lot of current flow you could start pulling some fuses ( one at a time) to see what circuit is causing the issue. I'd start with any added circuits that go directly to the battery.

Tony Fuzi said:
This is a hail marry but once I had a starter with a short that would drain the battery over night !?

I had the same problem and it turned out to be a solenoid/ coil problem. This guys gunna need a voltage tester and some spare time! I HATE CHASING SHORTS!! unless they happen to be really short and on a cutie

I removed and cleaned and replaced all grounds it didn't seem to help. There were all very clean and tight.

I did check out the radio wire i do see a few exposed wires so me cut off and just tired up with the rest. Do I just put caps on all of those?

I don't have a multiple meter so i don't know what to do about that.

5 bucks at walmart and they work as well as the craftsman. i have both and they read the same

cali_92 said:
I removed and cleaned and replaced all grounds it didn't seem to help. There were all very clean and tight.

I did check out the radio wire i do see a few exposed wires so me cut off and just tired up with the rest. Do I just put caps on all of those?

I don't have a multiple meter so i don't know what to do about that.

It would be easiest to cut off bare wire and tape end with electrical tape

Ok this is the whole story if this helps...
Hit a bump hard on the freeway. Stereo power went in and out until lost all power to it. The interior dash lights went out. Then the RPM gauge, speedometer, and battery gauges went out. It wouldn't start next time i went to start it. Charged the battery, tested alt., alt. Bad, battery ok. Then out in new alt. Had to jump start it, and as soon as i took the pos. jumper cable off it died. Which to my knowledge it should run with even no battery connected. Test the new alt. It was bad got another new one and got a new battery cause old one was fried now. Now with the new alt. Tested good. And new battery. Tested good. The battery is now being drained and i think not charging according to the battery gauge and it dies after driving it a few times.

bumps and your radio and interior lights should be fixed by those wires hitting a ground now there might be a short to ground between your alt and your bat maybe new wires would do the trick check the continuity of the wires before you buy new ones tho

Ok this is the whole story if this helps...
Hit a bump hard on the freeway. Stereo power went in and out until lost all power to it. The interior dash lights went out. Then the RPM gauge, speedometer, and battery gauges went out. It wouldn't start next time i went to start it. Charged the battery, tested alt., alt. Bad, battery ok. Then out in new alt. Had to jump start it, and as soon as i took the pos. jumper cable off it died. Which to my knowledge it should run with even no battery connected. Test the new alt. It was bad got another new one and got a new battery cause old one was fried now. Now with the new alt. Tested good. And new battery. Tested good. The battery is now being drained and i think not charging according to the battery gauge and it dies after driving it a few times.

Jeep will not run without a battery. Was this an OEM Alt or aftermarket reman?

When you cleaned the grounds did you do both sides? Battery and chassis. Alternator and chassis. Engine and chasis. Look at the cables and be sure they are not corroded.

3.) With the multi meter measure current off the battery. It should be low (less then 100mA) with the engine off. Report back the #'s. If you have a lot of current flow you could start pulling some fuses (one at a time) to see what circuit is causing the issue. I'd start with any added circuits that go directly to the battery.

and make sure you got all the wires back on the alt properly. might have left one off or missed one accidentally

took the jeep to have the system checked.
electrical system is fine when engine off. but confermed that they is a draw when engine is running. thats all the free test included so im back in the same situation. disconected my amp/sun from the battery didnt change anything. im just trying to one by one check everything. checked all fuses. i dont know if i didnt purchase a high enough amperage altenator. thats on 2morrows to do list. all grounds are clean and tight. check most wires and fixed any possible weak connections...
about to throw in the towel and take it to a shop to have the draw chased.

cali_92 said:
took the jeep to have the system checked.
electrical system is fine when engine off. but confermed that they is a draw when engine is running. thats all the free test included so im back in the same situation. disconected my amp/sun from the battery didnt change anything. im just trying to one by one check everything. checked all fuses. i dont know if i didnt purchase a high enough amperage altenator. thats on 2morrows to do list. all grounds are clean and tight. check most wires and fixed any possible weak connections...
about to throw in the towel and take it to a shop to have the draw chased.

I wonder if there is a short around the key or column area

Back