Steering Column help

CJDan

I need help with the steering shaft. I am having problems connecting the shaft to the column. It seem the rod in the steering column is not coming out far enough?

Attachments

• column.jpg
    column.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

Hi. Are you sure you have pulled the steering shaft apart enough? When you by a new on they are collapsed and you either need to put in a vice or have a strong buddy pulling on the other side of the shaft with you. Good luck

Hi. Are you sure you have pulled the steering shaft apart enough? When you by a new on they are collapsed and you either need to put in a vice or have a strong buddy pulling on the other side of the shaft with you. Good luck

well i did a swap from my old tub to my new tub, and the bar inside of the steering column seems short, the bolt can not fit through all the way because that little bit thats scooped out is only half way out, the groove were the bolt goes in, i will get pictures up asap.

here is a picture of how far it is only sticking out, if you could help this is great because this is the only thing keeping me from being completed, i have very few things and this is creating a hassle for me!

Attachments

• column.jpg
    column.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 462
Make sure the steering wheel spline shaft didnt pull out due to the spring load on the column bearing. It's happened to my column before when i rebuilt it.

here is a picture of how far it is only sticking out, if you could help this is great because this is the only thing keeping me from being completed, i have very few things and this is creating a hassle for me!

Alright. It appears it's just got knocked in. Check for a free spinning steering wheel? If this spins free your bearing at the bottom of the column is probably fine. Spray some good ole WD40 in the end and pull that baby out. This really should come free. Put it in a vise maybe just don't hurt the splines. Good luck

image-missing.png

image-missing.png
image-missing.png

Attachments

• IMAG0018.jpg
    IMAG0018.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 335

Make sure the steering wheel spline shaft didnt pull out due to the spring load on the column bearing. It's happened to my column before when i rebuilt it.

would that require me to buy a whole new steering shaft if that happend?

would that require me to buy a whole new steering shaft if that happend?
Nope, you would need to remove the steering wheel, lock plate and the spring to release the tension on the lower shaft. After installing the spline shaft to the yoke on the lower column, assemble the parts in the order it was removed and at the point where the lock plate needs to be pressed in and the lock ring installed, you will need the special tool to facilitate this procedure.

Nope, you would need to remove the steering wheel, lock plate and the spring to release the tension on the lower shaft. After installing the spline shaft to the yoke on the lower column, assemble the parts in the order it was removed and at the point where the lock plate needs to be pressed in and the lock ring installed, you will need the special tool to facilitate this procedure.

ok thanks i will give it a try and let you know how it goes

Back