building a lift

tj-angler

hey whats up people i have a 1997 tj that is a stick .i am thinking about building my upper and lower control arms i want it to be a 4.5 inch lift i was thinking about buying the rr 4.5 lift springs and rancho rs9000x shocks but i was thinking which would be beter off road .if i made it a long arm lift and hooked up the lower control arms to the skid plate that i would buy from rubicon express or should i just build a regular lift that hooks up to the stock lower control arm bracket which is attached to the frame i was talking to some of my friends about it and they say that i shouldnt get it attached to the skid plate because its not strong enough but i though that i should ask some ppl that know what they are talking about hence the reason why im asking you ppl. :)

edited by: tj-angler, Feb 26, 2003 - 05:43 PM[addsig]

The long arm kits are plenty strong where they attach. I'd say go for a long-arm if you can afford to do a 4"+ lift correctly. That much lift or more with the stock control arms creates too much 'wheel jacking', the easy lifting of a front tire due to the steep angle of the control arms. There are more long-arm kits on the market every month, so thier are plenty to choose from. Full-Traction just came out with one, saw it in the latest mag, either JP or 4Wheel and Sport Utility.[addsig]

so should i build the control arms on the t-case skid plate or where the stock control arms already are? :-?

edited by: tj-angler, Mar 24, 2003 - 09:55 AM[addsig]

and do you think if its not to much trouble can you give me a list of what i need to build it ? :-D [addsig]

Back