Cat Converter replacement

yOozahOe519

I just recently had my 97 TJ state inspected in Va Beach. Unfortunately, I failed due to "exhaust leak before and after the cat converter, exhaust insulator is broken." I need to replace the cat converter. Any suggestions on a affordable and durable cat converter out on the market? I need to get this sorted within 15 days. FML. lol. Thanks guys!

Measure your cats diamensions and run down to your local Autozone and have them look up a universal cat that will fit in, there a lot cheaper than a direct fit.

I fell into that situation when I lived there many times. If the inspector is a real stickler the universal will fail as well because it is not OEM. Don't ask me why it makes a difference, but it's in the inspection guide. That's why Big Al's, Merchants, etc. will only use OEM type replacements.

Also, be sure to not use muffler putty to try to seal your connections. That will fail you, too. I don't know why they even sell that in the stores there since it's illegal to use there.

Ask around to some of the other guys with four-bys for a good shop in your area which understands the needs of the community, if you get my meaning. If it's just the connecting joint, you could just have it welded in too.

I took a pipe slightly smaller than the cat pipe and rammed it through and welded it back on..lol..It is only illegal if they catch you..lol

One you thing you have to watch if you use a universal cat is that you still have the section where your O2 sensor screws in at.

Well one of the reason why I failed the inspection is because the previous owner had tried to "repair" the piping by welding something. Apparently, it's illegal to "modify" the cat converter here in VA.

I'm considering purchasing Magnaflow's Direct-fit cat converter and also replacing my old exhaust with magnaflow cat-back exhaust system. Hear anything about those products? pros vs. cons?

yOozahOe519 said:
Well one of the reason why I failed the inspection is because the previous owner had tried to "repair" the piping by welding something. Apparently, it's illegal to "modify" the cat converter here in VA.

I'm considering purchasing Magnaflow's Direct-fit cat converter and also replacing my old exhaust with magnaflow cat-back exhaust system. Hear anything about those products? pros vs. cons?

There are no cons with magnaflow lol

I have a magnaflow also. No issues with mine either except one time it came loose from the pipe and it was LOUD going down the road. I just had to jam it back in and it was good as new.

I have a magnaflow also. No issues with mine either except one time it came loose from the pipe and it was LOUD going down the road. I just had to jam it back in and it was good as new.

Did you have any issues with installing the exhaust system and removing the stock? Perfect fit? Bolt-on Vs Weld installation? I'd appreciate the info!

No proproblems with my install, but I welded mine in not wanting clamps to break loose later on. Magnaflow 40 series=nice exhaust rumble.

I tried the magnaflow high flow direct fit.It does not fit a 2.5l engine.It is for a 4.0l.I seen that same direct fit on multiple web sites.Ordered two times.Once from JC Whitney and once from Quadratic.They both sent me the same product that fits the 4.0l.I called Magnaflow directly and they said they do not make a direct fit for a 2.5l.That was about a year ago,not sure if anything changed since then.

We have a '97 4-banger also. I had the cat replaced last year, got a universal fit unit welded on by a local exhaust shop that does great work for cheap. About $120 for the cat and $60 to install, if I recall correctly.
The Jeep was displaying symptoms of a plugged cat, besides which the existing cat looked like it was welded on by the Three Stooges.

I tried the magnaflow high flow direct fit.It does not fit a 2.5l engine.It is for a 4.0l.I seen that same direct fit on multiple web sites.Ordered two times.Once from JC Whitney and once from Quadratic.They both sent me the same product that fits the 4.0l.I called Magnaflow directly and they said they do not make a direct fit for a 2.5l.That was about a year ago,not sure if anything changed since then.

I guess i'll have to double check. The magnaflow product that I looked at said it fits 2.5L Jeeps. I definitely don't want to deal with the hassle of returning it if it's not the right one. In case, magnaflow doesn't make a cat converters for 2.5L, any other reputable brand I can go with?

We have a '97 4-banger also. I had the cat replaced last year, got a universal fit unit welded on by a local exhaust shop that does great work for cheap. About $120 for the cat and $60 to install, if I recall correctly.
The Jeep was displaying symptoms of a plugged cat, besides which the existing cat looked like it was welded on by the Three Stooges.

What brand was your Cat Converter?

I also ended up welding mine so that it would not come loose again...

I just purchased my Magnaflow Catalyst and Catback exhaust this morning. Hoping to get in and installed by next week! I'll definitely keep you guys posted!

What brand was your Cat Converter?
Dunno. They just looked it up in their catalog at the exhaust shop and walked across the street to the parts store to get it. I ran into the same problem you had at 4WD Hardware, their catalog said the Magnaflow would fit the 2.5L but their computer said it wouldn't. I could have bought a 2.5L cat from Random Technology but it cost about double so I just got a universal one.

Back