1988 yj sputter

my 88 yj sputters when accelerated i have a weber carb new plugs and wires roters ok no exhaust except for a catt. please help its becoming annoying as anything when trying to hit the gas and not going any where any suggestions or tips thanks !

I am having the same exact problem on my 88 yj with a weber carb and I can't track down the issue... I can't find any vacuum leaks, I'v replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter, dist. cap is good no matter how i many times i try to tune the carb there is no change i can feather the gas and get around but this is becoming a serious issue that i want fixed... I just wish somebody with more knowledge than me could comment and help out

only on acceleration? like you hit the gas and it bogs/sputters and then will catch up or sometimes will die?

its your accelerator pump, in the carb. take your air cleaner off and look down the carb (with the jeep off) pump the throttle arm and you should see a squirt of gas. no gas will cause a bog or sputter and then a sudden pick up.

another thing that can cause similar issues on a weber is the timing not being exactly right

Its not just on acceleration its more like if i push the gas to far it sputters... i can do it just right and feather the gas and get around 40mph but its hard to maintain that speed without the sputter, and once it starts the sputter it will not stop untill i let off the gas... i can still accelerate but i have to floor it and you can tell its really struggling, I'm at work right now so I will check the accelerator pump when i get home and let you know

thanks for the help

ok, its not the accelerator pump, by your further description.

you can still look but it definitely doesn;t sound like an accelerator pump now. how is your timing? webers are really sensitive to timing being off, really sensitive. i ran a weber on my bmw and this jeep has one on it when i first got it. i like weber but not the weber 34/34. is yours a 34/34 or a 32/36?

Im pretty sure mine is a 32/36 not 100% sure though... I'm working on getting a timing light so i can check that I'll let you know how it is once i get one... thanks for the help

Did you adjust the carburator acording to the weber instructions? I bought mine Used and assumed that it must be close and tried for a year to get it right. As much as i hate to admit it, i read the instructions. It's been running great ever since. I couldn't believe how simple it was.

Yeah I did 2 turns out on the mixture knob and 1 1/2 on the idle knob is what I was told... i can't get it to not sputter no matter how I set it though

make sure the timing is right. webers are timing sensitive. the 32/36 really gets messed up when the timing is off, i had it on a bmw

I'm just waitin on Friday to get payed so I can go get a timing light I'll let y'all know if this fixes the issue

uugh :p waiting to get payed to fix the jeep lol might as well name my jeep wallet because theres more money in it then than there is in my wallet lol

get a timing light with the adjustable knob

It was the timing it was like 16 degrees off I'm not even sure how it was running lol thanks for the help guys

It's still kinda hard to get it set though I'm not sure what degree would be the best and I think my timing chain may need replacing because the timing mark is jumpy when I adjust it right now I just set it by ear untill I can get the specs

Hey I fixed mine this weekend too though mine was a quicker fix...the air filter was clogged....I thought maybe the fuel filter was the issue bc it seemed no matter how hard I pushed the gas it was going the same speed,but the air filter fixed it.

Back