Rubicon Lockers

TheOKCAggie

I have a 04 rubicon with stock axles. I am looking to rewire and add another switch so I can activate the air lockers in 4wheel high. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have the wiring diagram of the current switch set up? Thanks.

hahah idk why!!! full spools are SO much fun on hard dry ground!!!! LOL you should drive mine in 4wheel next time you come down and see what I mean hahaha

Yes. It's a safety feature to keep people from engaging them going down the highway

well honestly the rear pinion is a pain if you do it RIGHT! most ppl just pull yoke off and change the seal, but thats an REALLY GOOD way to RUIN your rear end! the pinion nut is what crushes the crush sleeve and puts preload on the pinion gear. if the crush sleeve is reused and not crushed at the exact same point and torque etc (pretty much impossible to do) then it changes the wear pattern on the ring and pinion gears and will cause then to chew each other up, so the best way to fix a pinion seal is to remove the whole diff gear set and do a whole install kit. now you are wanting to change gears arent you? so what i would do is just keep an eye on it, and wait till you put new gears in, or if you plan on doing it within the next yr or two then do it the wrong way, and just pull the nut and yoke and change it out

hahah idk why!!! full spools are SO much fun on hard dry ground!!!! LOL you should drive mine in 4wheel next time you come down and see what I mean hahaha
You run full spools? Or Detroits?

I run front/rear spools on my DD and wouldn't have it any other way. No locking/unlocking under throttle for me.

I have a 04 rubicon with stock axles. I am looking to rewire and add another switch so I can activate the air lockers in 4wheel high. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have the wiring diagram of the current switch set up? Thanks.

I have an '04 RUBICON also. I did the exact same bypass that Bounty Hunter posted 1 1/2 years ago and it works perfect. It was one of the simplest things I have done so far. The easiest was making the fog lamps work in hi or lo beam.

First off its a Dana 44 and it doesnt have a crush sleeve. The dana 44's for Jeeps use a .06 pre-load on the pinion bearing with a 15 in-lbs turn torque in the main pinion nut after its set to 210-217 LBS.

To replace the pinion seal

PINION SHAFT SEAL
REMOVAL
(1) Raise and support the vehicle.
(2) Remove wheel and tire assemblies.
(3) Remove brake drums. Refer to Group 5,
Brakes, for proper procedures.
(4) Mark the propeller shaft and pinion yoke for
installation reference.
(5) Remove the propeller shaft from the yoke.
(6) Rotate the pinion gear three or four times.
(7) Measure the amount of torque necessary to
rotate the pinion gear with a (in. lbs.) dial-type
torque wrench. Record the torque reading for installation
reference.
(8) Using Holder 6958 to hold the pinion yoke,
remove the pinion nut and washer.
(9) Use Remover C-452 and Wrench C-3281 to
remove the pinion yoke (Fig. 7).
(10) Use a suitable pry tool or a slide hammer
mounted screw to remove the pinion shaft seal.
INSTALLATION
(1) Apply a light coating of gear lubricant on the
lip of pinion seal. Install seal with Installer C-3972-A
and Handle C-4171 (Fig. 8).
(2) Install yoke on the pinion gear with Installer
W-162–D, Cup 8109, and Holder 6958
CAUTION: Do not exceed the minimum tightening
torque when installing the pinion yoke retaining nut
at this point. Damage to the pinion bearings may
result.
(3) Install the pinion washer and a new nut on the
pinion gear. Tighten the nut only enough to
remove the shaft end play.
(4) Tighten pinion nut to 217 N·m (160 ft. lbs.).
(5) Rotate the pinion shaft using a (in. lbs.) torque
wrench. Rotating torque should be equal to the reading
recorded during removal, plus an additional 0.56
N·m (5 in. lbs.) (Fig. 10).
(6) If the rotating torque is low, use Holder 6958 to
hold the pinion yoke, and tighten the pinion shaft
nut in 6.8 N·m (5 ft. lbs.) increments until proper
rotating torque is achieved.
(7) Align the installation reference marks on the
propeller shaft and yoke, and install the propeller
shaft.
(8) Check and fill the gear lubricant. Refer to the
Lubricant Specifications for gear lubricant requirements.
(9) Install the brake drums. Refer to Group 5,
Brakes, for proper procedures.
(10) Install wheel and tire assemblies.
(11) Lower the vehicle.

I was just going to post that a D44 doesn't have crush sleaves Utah, but your description on hos to do it reads like german instructions on how make beer.

D44 pinion seal needs to come out from inside the diff, so you basically need to tear the axle down to a bare diff, pop out the seal, and reassemble with new seal. just did mine on my front 44 two weeks ago, not a bad job, think it took me about 3 hours and 8 beers.

Johnny on the rear diff the pinion seal comes off forward after removing the yoke. I have done this in the field once on my jeep and another of a friends in a parking lot. As to the description, thank DC because that is verbatim out of the Electronic service manual for a 00-01 TJ.
Only the front axle shaft seals need to come out from the inside, the pinion shaft seal on that axle is still set on from the outside.

I agree it is a D44 rear and no crush sleeve is used. Even if it were a D35 Josh's procedure has a few 1/2 truths and some incorrect information. You do not need to pull the whole diff out and use a rebuild kit just to r/r a pinion seal and properly set pinion bearing preload.

Last edited:
44's seem line a pain to me!! and it is still the BEST way to do a crush sleeve is to replace it versus reuse it! but its ok, its not my axle so i dont mind if its half done and parts are reused. Personally when i do ANYTHING to my vehicles (or customer vehicles) i make sure it is done in the best manner possible, not the cheapest or easiest.

the dana 44 has no crush sleeve, i believe is what is being said. not that the sleeve doesn't need replacing, just that its not actually in there

Nobody advocated reusing a used crush sleeve, especially on a diff that doesn't even have one. While talking about the Dana 35 you said;"the best way to fix a pinion seal is to remove the whole diff gear set and do a whole install kit." This is the incorrect information I was talking about. There is no reason to do this on a Dana 35 unless you are trying to up-sell your customers work that doesn't need to be done. But all this Dana 35 talk is a moot point since the axle in question is a Dana 44 which does not use a crush sleeve anyway.

Last edited:
Back