is it illegal to do a engine swap in cali?

tj-angler

hi im just about to buy a 1954 jeep willy and i am going to put a 350 chevy engine in it but i was told by some of my friends that its illegal to do a engine swap in california is this true?[addsig]

If your in CA. would be an illegal install if the vehicle is regestered for on -road use. For off-road use only it's be ok.
i live in mass so its all good looks like u gotta lil problem in cali? sry :-O

edited by: PKLgreenJeepZ, Mar 07, 2003 - 11:24 AM[addsig]

California is the strictest State on emissions, but I can't imagine it being that strict. Search the web and you'll likely find thier emissions regulations online.[addsig]

man, dont do that to a classic jeep!!! putting 350 in a newer cj, or a wrangler is great, but dont do that to a 49 year old jeep!!! its just not right[addsig]

"Vehicles with a year model 30 years old or older are exempt from the smog certification requirements".

This is a quote from the DMV California web site http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smog.htm

Because there are no requirements for smog or inspection on a 1954 vehicle, changing engines are up to you. If you still have questions, call your local DMV office and satisfy your curiosoity.

[addsig]

It is ezer to ask for foregiveness that to ask for premision. Just put it in there and go. this country is getting so out of hand. Dude I am so glad I do not live in Cali. Tug[addsig]

Any vehcicle 1972 and older does not have to meet any smog requirements in CA so in your case you can do whatever you want. But it is still legal to do an engine swap even if your vehicle is newer and '72. You just have to go to a "Smog Referee" who will look at your new engine to make sure it has all the required smog equipment. If it does, he will give you a new permanent plaque (sp?) similar to the one that is under every cars hood. With this plaque, you never have to go to the referee again, you just smog it every 2 years like you normally would.

Or, in my case, I just went to a different smog inspection place who was too stupid to realize that I had a 360 instead of the stock 304. He tested it, passed it, and let me go on my merry way.[addsig]

Back