How to remove a soft top?

muther

I know this may seem like a blindingly simple question but...
We have just (today) purchased a '97 TJ and don't as yet have an owners manual.
In trying to remove the soft top, we have removed the windows and released the two top front latches.
The top will still not lift up, seems attached still along the sides.
Is a special tool required?
Any help would be appreciated, it's is sunny and warm and we are very anxious.
Thanks!
[addsig]

My wife posted this question a few days ago. The weather has gotten rainy and cool, but I still am curious to figure out how the sides unhook. Hopefully the manual will arrive soon! Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike
[addsig]

Undo the two latches (remove them completely) above the windshield, and than remove the sides pannels, also above the doors (on a 98-02 anyway) there is a channel that the soft top clasps into. Check there.
[addsig]

Thanks so much for responding.
It really is the channel above the doors (where the soft top clasps into) that we are having the difficulty.
It is attached very firmly and we hesitate to try to force it.
Is there a special tool required? or a small latch that we have missed?

Those channels are the only thing standing in our way!
Thanks!

[addsig]

Hey I had the same problem when i got my 97
Anyways right above the doors is a channel
just pull the top out of it No special tools needed but a screw driver sure does help
start it at the front and then just pop the rest out its easy once you do it
image-missing.png

[addsig]

I managed to tear apart the sides of my top by not know ing the trick to this. When you put the top on and off, You want to first unlatch the top from the windsheild, then lift the two back corners from their lip, and then flip the plastic out of the channels. That is the best way to release all the pressure so the sides dont tear. Same goes with putting the top back on. First just hooks the clasps in windsheild without locking them, then hook the 2 rear corners, and after that go back and lock the clasps on the winsheild. The side channels should be done last.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back