jeep backfire !!!

tj-angler

hi i own a 97 wrangler sport and while i was racing my friend in his 92 blazer. my jeep back fired and suddenly lost a little power but it regained it preety fast i switched gears at about 4000 rpm . what would cause this.[addsig]

Do you have a hole in your exaust some where? tug[addsig]

nope the mufflers are flowmaster and are still new i put them in in december

edited by: tj-angler, Mar 16, 2003 - 08:15 AM[addsig]

where you on the throttle, off the throttle when it happened? backfires are not good at all - usually cause some damage. fixable, but there nontheless.[addsig]

omg do I a funny story... before the TJ i had a 91 4cly. YJ total POS and I was driving on the freeway and I was Hualin @ss and I was doing about 80 and I let off the gas and all of a sudden BOOM... so like a week later I checked it and it had blown a hole completly out of the bottom... I got it replaced and it became a award for my lacrosse team in High school... soooo funny :lol: [addsig]

Has it only done it that one time?? And does the engine run normally now?? 4,000 rpm shouldn't have hurt anything. If it does it any time you stretch her out...could be the fuel filter...partly plugged up could cause backfiring. Also...if you were haulin butt in the wet... it could have crossfired from getting the distributor wet. Take the distributor cap off and look it over carbon tracks between terminals..inside and out. If you have never seen carbon tracks...they are black lines etched into the cap..some of them look like lightning bolts burned into the material. the Ignition coil can track too.

Dawg[addsig]

had you just recently gassed up/full tank./ sometimes you get some h2o instead of fuel in the cylinder, it cant ignite and cuts out and all the fuel dumped in the cat ignites and backfire. did it backfire from engine or exhaust?[addsig]

Would a hole in the manifold cause a backfire if I hit the gas hard? I just bought this CJ and when I hit the gas it sort of hesitates and if I hit it hard it will back fire. I never even thought it would be because of the fairly large hole in the manifold.[addsig]

I was on the highway last weekend going to my friends land for a little fourwheelin, going about 85-90 the whole time on a 20-25 min ride and when i pulled into a gas station and turned it off then it backfired???? scared the $hit out of me since i was walking right in front of the pipe when it happened. Does this happen to anyone else after driving on the highway?????[addsig]

i have a 4.0 i6 in it and it does it when i have it at 4000 rpm for to long because it did it again when i was racing a jetta[addsig]

to the last reply: when running fast and hot for extended period of time, let the motor idle for about 20-30 seconds to make sure that the proper amount of fuel is in or out of the exhaust system. Probably some fumes left in the cat that ignited. Your cat gets real hot and if there's fumes in there, they will ignite.

as for the original post-er, stop racing.

c

edited by: hi_c, Mar 17, 2003 - 12:43 PM[addsig]

Back