The red wire coming from the alternator?

principalb

75 cj5 witha straight 6. OK so I am wondering where the red wire from the double plug on the alternator goes? There are two wires one is black and one is red going to two tabs on the alternator. The black goes back the fuse box. I got that. The red goes?? I put it on the post on the alternator but that causes a drain on the battery and the alt gets hot. with or without that red wire the alt is still charging the system. I have a yellow wire coming from the starter coil to the post on the alt that seems to be correct. Any thoughts? Is this a wire from days of an external regulator and now that the alt has one built in this is no longer needed? Help I cant use my jeep till this is fixed and it is my last maintenance item on the vehicle since I bought it and Im tired of dumping uneeded cash into the car! HEEEELLLLLP :(

put a multimeter on it, that might be your ground wire to one of the mounting bolts on the alternator case. if its not reading any juice with a meter, i would put it on the case bolt, especially if you are getting a charge with out it hooked up

put a multimeter on it, that might be your ground wire to one of the mounting bolts on the alternator case. if its not reading any juice with a meter, i would put it on the case bolt, especially if you are getting a charge with out it hooked up

Well according to the delco wiring diagram for the alt that red wire is to go to the post along withthe yellow wire leading back to the stater coil. The big issue here is that I am trying to ficure out a battery drain that is occuring when the motor is off, the alt is getting real hot and so is the battery just sitting there. I even tried to put a switch at the neg terminal of the battery but it still drained. I have a new coil, new alt, new starter coil, new battery cables and starter cable. The wire at the alternator (yellow sparks when touched to the alt post. sooooooo whaatttttt to do??

Back