Boomerang Shackles

They were initially designed to prevent lift spring from inverting. (the shackle wraps back around to the frame) which can result in either bent or broken springs.

most people install them improperly or put them on because they think they need them. In recent times, they have also been used to install XJ rears into YJs for the WB stretch with out having to move the shackle mount. (basically you run them upside down)

I will use my jeep as an example, my front boomerang shackles are installed upside down, mine are for a reason. I stretched the front wheel base out a couple inches, because of that I had to move the steering box forward a couple inches to accomidate. in doing so, if I run the shackles as intended, they would contact the steering box. I used to have a spring inversion issue, my solution was military double wrapped springs and better shackle angle. I simply re-used the boomerang shackles because it is what I had and they work.

10167d1319113700t-johnnys-94-yj-one-big-poop-imag0074.jpg

Ideally you want the short portion of the shackle on top. It is hard to see in the pic, but the front of the spring actually sits about 2.5" farther forward and improved my shackle angle.

Thanks.
I use my Jeep for trail riding, through creeks and such.
No rock climbing or major off roading so I don't think they would be much of a benefit to me.

They work well in the rear to keep the shackle from contacting the rear crossmember. Take a look at the crossmember, it's likely bent from the shackle hitting it.

They work well in the front of any rig to prevent the shackle from inverting rearward against the frame.

i only got them to add a little lift to my jeep. not because i have any hitting or anything, the highway doesn;t flex out my suspension that much

Back