Hazard flasher button

Turbogus

Hi gang, been a spell since I posted why I like bier. Think it got removed it was in questionable taste~even if in German. :D

Well since I got the rebuilt column in 'Betty' the hazard button won't stay pushed in. I can hold it in and the four ways flash okay, just won't stay pused in on it's own.

Is this an external fix or do I have to go back into the column again? Not enthuzed to go into the column right now, in the process of buying our first home but if it's quick and easy (like my first girlfriend) no harm in fixing it now.

probably not quick and easy. if it was an externally mounted flasher switch then it would be very easy but the ones in our columns do not look to be fun

This looks to be a late '70's GM column. I hope it's not so, what with the Grant wheel I installed a couple of years back the horn circuit is kind of flaky, sure would hate to disturb it.

Ratz, looks like it'll have to wait 'till after the move.

Finally got nto the steering column on acount of the the key cylinder for the starter was getting pretty bad, have to push it in very firmly and turn the key to engage the starter, the horn was stuck on due to the plastic turn signal canellion plastic had broken and that aformentioned hazard light button. Got the key clyinder out and it was covered in crud as was the upper end of the column wiring terminals, cleaned it all up with electric parts cleaner and it looks like I may need to get new column wiring because the haz button still won't stay pushed in.

:lol: I can dig that Terry, During my siesta today I was contemplating how that button functions. From what I could see it looks kind of like a teeter totter that connect both the left and right turn circuits, but I don't know yet what holds that button in.

I had enough slack in the cable group to pull out the upper end of the assembly and from what I see it seems that the Hazard button installed
sl1000-1.jpg

May be the wrong type and not long enough to engage. I wonder if these may have a longer reach.
sl1000-2.jpg

They screw into the upper end harness after it's hard mounted up.

A wierd thing I found in this column was an STS threaded in as kind of set screw for the ignition cylinder. It doesn't seem OE and there's no reference I can find about it in the TSM. Has anyone else found this?
002.jpg

I learned from another forum that the later CJ's had a set screw and recess on the cylinder to accomodate one while earlier CJ cylinders have a tab that pushes in to lock the cylinder in. On mine the added set screw is what led to my issue with having to very firmly push in the key and rotate the cylinder to start.

From that forum;
Later model CJ's has a screw that held the lock in place.
KeyCylinderDifference-1.jpg

See the angled slot in the top cylinder? The lower lock just has a spring loaded clip that holds it in place.
LockScrewInside-1.jpg

The yellow hole is were the retaing screw goes and the red box is were earlier CJ's had a detent to push in to release the lock.

Back