CJ5 Measurements

HB Jeeper

HI all...Thanks in advance for looking at this. Been having a hard time finding authentic parts for my '74 CJ-5. I am wanting to know if anyone can say that the distance from well to well in the back is the same in a 74 or 76. Trying to get a rear seat but finding it for a 74 is much harder. Same issue for the question below.

Also is the swing arm/tire carrier the same in dimensions for a 74 over a 76.

thanks again!

Dang, hard to answer questions. I have no idea as i have only seen a cj5 in person so rarely

Maybe a better question is....are the tubs virtually the same dimensions from the 72-75 Jeeps vs. the tubs on 76-83...

Yes, the same. 36" between wheel well to wheel well. Tire carrier should be the same as well. I believe in 76 they started using a longer hood and front fenders but the tubs are the same.

The longer hood came in "72,also longer wheelbase from 80inches to 83inches.
The tubs changed in "76,but not the outside dimensions or the width if the cargo/back seat area or the tailgate. Therefore the answer to your original question is indeed 36" in all years. Seats &/or tire carriers are interchangable.
Just a note: the CJ5 tire carriers swing down not to the side. If you're planning on buying an aftermarket bumper mounted swing out,take measurements to make sure it will clear your tailgate.SOME DON'T clear the CJ5 tailgate. Also a CJ7 factory tire carrier will work with some mount mods to fit the shorter CJ5 tub. Sorry for the wordiness....hope that helps!!

Back