New Jeep Rebuild 1982 CJ7

igor

i just aquired a 1982 cj7 that used to be a national park service vehicle. it has 120350 miles on it and a gm iron duke 4 cyl with a 4 speed. it has a white fiberglass top on it.
i am going to have to replace some panels on it . in my day the 60 s we used to pop rivet body panels and they blend them in to the shaped.
i have heard about welding today but i dont knonw how and dont have a welder.
any thoughts on old school. both front and read diffs have been rebuilt, a new water pump and new radiator is on is along with fresh oil . it hasnt been started for 2 years due to old owner having been in the hindu kush serving the country.
i am sooo new st this i dont know what i know and any help would be greatly appreciated. i know i have to rebuild the brakes and i know the engine turns, it was done once recently,very briefly
thoughts are appreciated

Re: new jeeprebuild 1982 cj7

I've used rivets on a few Jeep body repairs with great(I think) results. The key is to get the rivets & new panels as flush as possible & then "skin coat" with body filler to smooth it out.Keep the kin coat thin to avoid cracking. My first project my "78CJ5 was "swiss cheese" when I started & the patch job lasted about 8yrs...I then decided it was time for a new body.(see my thread "EugeneII "78CJ5 in the "Jeep Builds" forum).
As far as your overall project...I would take it one step at a time & get it running & driveable first...then if the body will hold together drive it for a while before attacking the body work. Just my opinion. Good luck & post pictures & updates!!!!

first order is to get the brakes up to snuff and then start the engine. i am trying to figure out how to drain the gas with out taking it down from the frame. and what to use to cledan it i heard zbout some thing called seafoam to put in the tank dont know anythingboutit . i have historic tags for it got them today so i am legal if i get it running to motor a bitonce i figure out how to take pics i will include them. my yoyungest son is a computer wiz. he is restoring a 1960 cj5 and drives a 2006 wranglerevery day

The old school way will work fine, but if you take if off road it WILL crack eventually from the frame and body flexing. I have bought jeep with this done in the past and they are hair line cracks but it will crack.
With that in mind I don't know if you would want to put a expensive paint job on it. My dad bought a cj7 in 82 new and it had the gm iron duke engine and a white hard top, his was a 5spd though. I loved that jeep as a kid!

my idea is to restore it to what it was with the forest green paint and the white top on it. nothing really special just what it once was .

if i can find someone to weld over the panels before i paint ti and after pop rivet it great. but the riviting will get me going

hey all is there any trick to taking the front brake rotors off . mine have been sitting for two years and a good dose of wd 40 hasnt helped

If they are still on the jeep, you have to take off the hub and rotor and a assembly. Open the hub and take off the snap ring on the axle shaft end (it will be under all the greese.) and take the nuts off and it should all slide off.

i got the front rotors off and they are being turned, so i will proceed from there with new calipers pads lines etc. then its on to the back brakes which i am told by teh prev owner are ok so we will se. i am asking my son to use his camera to post photos so hopefully that will happen soon

well got the rotors back turned , so i tried to take the brake line off from the point that it came through the frame and went to the line to the wheel. and as usual i broke the line just inside the frame soooo i will have to replace the line until the next junction. ran ut of light. so does anyone know where to find a diagram of the brake system that i can use for a model any info would be helpful i press on

well i got the front brtake lines off so i am putting the money together to get new lines as well as calipers and pads. progress moves slowly

well after a slow astart and the need to aquire some tools ie more jack stands and a good floor jack. i got the front brake linea off and new ones are inbound along with calipers pads and assorted hardware. i got the rotors turned down and refinished and replaced a flat tire.

the plan of attack is th get the front brakes put in and sorted out, then check the erar drums to sort out any problems. i have a quires a freesh battery and since the radiator water pump hoses etc are new c after lubing the top of the enjine well i will wind up tghe gum bands and get the motor running, plugs points etc.
after that i will attack the front floor boards with new opnes. the plan is to cut out rust and sand and por 15 the old part and both the under and the top of the new ones. then move to the rear floor boards and put in new metal where needed again coating the under and upper with por 15. the rear cargo area is in good shape so sanding and por ing will suffice there the ail gate needs some sanding and por ing and its ok the read wheel wells will need some work so they aer next.
the rocker pannel on the passengers side needs replaces so a panel will be done there also with the coating and priming.
i am still podering putting diamond plate on the fixed rocker panels to hide that iere will be slight buldge in the metwal; when i relplace it. i dont weld but i do old school and pop rivet.
still working that out in my mind the rest of the body will bde sanded grfinded and there aer no big holes to fix, so they will be por d and primed
the fiberr glass top will be cleaned up and the rear lid brackets and bolts replaced. here is the big buggaboo. the rear lift gate assembly is gone so i either have to get another one or fabricate sone think plexiglass to servce as a rear lift gate.
im startine to work the junk yards and such. i have rfead somewhere that thenwrangeler rear liftgates from certain years will fit but the location of the mounting brackets look different to me so well ieve got a lot to do prior to that.
so folks any ideas or suggestions aer appreciated i ahve realized that a lot of the mechanical stuff and the body struu i am relearning since it wqas in the late 50 s and 60 s when i used to do all that sooo my learning curve is slow in coming back, but what the hell iam retired now and time is there.
any ideas are appreciated. oh i have taked pohotos and i am getting my son to upload them for me so thats coming

Hey Igor,

As for the hardtop glass, try here” http://shop.magbuz.com”. They still make the original glass for CJ tops and they are reasonable. I would recommend calling and talking to the technician, he answered a lot of questions I had. My top was sort of in pieces when I got it. Another great local source (PA.) is Storks Auto. Jene Stork is the owner and he can be reach at “Storksauto@aol.com”. Storks also has a EBAY store (storks snow plow and jeep parts). If you contact Jene, feel free to name drop, I’ve done a lot of business with them.

We should get together soon since we are in the same neighborhood.

ok ill look into that but i need the frame and glass, i agree we should get together give me a hollar at rakak@aol.com or 443 618-2845

hey gang, almost ready to get the engine staarted, my son in law , a marine diesal mechanic, checked my oil today and informed me that there was all gas in the oil dipstick. he thought the prev owner filled it to prevent seizing if it sat for a long time. the prev owner did have it sitting at his house for almost 2 years while he was in the afgani9 mountains oding the soldier thing.
ok i got that and i was going to drain the fluid from the crankcase along with theoil filter and put good oil in it and a good filter prior to starting . anything else i shoulod be doing .

Back