Rick Jefferson is offline Junior Member

jeep wont start, no fuel pressure, changed fuel pump, still no pressure

Good Evening All. Im a newbee to this forum looking for technical help. heres the scoop. My baby (1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport) decided to stop running on me.
    The symptoms started a couple weeks ago. Jeep would not start up after sitting for about 10 min. Finally started up (dont know why). Then same thing happend about 5 starts later. just turned over but wouldnt fire. I suspected it could be a fuel pump so i rapped on the gas tank a few times and it fired up.
    well it started up on for the next 15 to 20 starts. Cool i figured i must be out of the woods and mabey it was water in the gas.. just then... it died but this time while i was driving it. just acted like it ran out of gas. Well i towed my baby home and prepared for one of the repair jobs i just love..dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump. Fast forward to tonight. I got a new fuel pump from NAPA, installed it. The only glitch i ran into was that the electric connector on the new unit did not fit. I had to drop the tank again and splice the connector from the old pump onto the new pump. Got everything back in place. Added 5 gallons of fresh gas and tried to start her up ... Nothing.. Turns over like a champ but wont fire. The sending guage shows gas in the tank but there does not seem to be more then a dripple of gas from the pressure release valve on the fuel injection rail. That puppy should be shooting out. soooo im not getting fuel to the rail.

Any ideas from this forum would be appreciated. im stumped. My next step is to check the voltage to the pump. im assuming it should be a straight 12 V when the ignition is turned on.

Thanks!
    Rick.

Ghost Rider is offline Official Vendor

Re: jeep wont start, no fuel pressure, changed fuel pump, still no pressure

Rick,
    my daughter had issues with her 1998 TJ wanting to die while driving. Originally, I was thinking it was the fuel pump or the filter but someone here suggested that it was the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Since it was the cheapest and easiest thing to fix ($71.00) we went with that and it did the trick for us. I am not sure if your car has one of these things or that it is what causes your problem but it is something o think about. The thing is located on top of the bel housing and you are going to need some long extensions to get to it. I also decided that if I was going to change the fuel pump, I was going to make a cutout on the tub for feature access in case I might need to do it again and not to have to drop the fuel thank..... It is kinda of dumb that they never did that. Hope everything goes well and you get it fixed. Please let us know what you find out.

MOLON LABE

dnr421 is offline Junior Member

You can use a test light to check for power going to the pump. Unplug the connector and touch the light to the green/black wire. Have someone turn the key on, at that time you should see it light up for a couple of seconds. Then have them attempt to crank the motor, it should stay lite while they are spinning it over. But remember there is only power while the motor is spinning over

Rick Jefferson is offline Junior Member

Thanks guys, the problem is in the power. now im stumped. Im not very good at reading skematics. i alredy swapped the relays around and its not the realy. i did have a bown fuse on the fuel pump circutt but i changed that and it did not blow agan. I dont know if the power runs through the computer or direct from the relay to the pump. im about ready th throw in the towel and take it to the garage. but ill keep trying to find alternatives.
    Thanks. Rick.