2005 Jeep Wrangler - Transmission or clutch?

Jules_tj_atx

Not sure where to start. I was driving down the highway in moderate traffic. I went to change gears, and nothing. (I was able to roll to the side of the road and call AT&T roadside.)

I had Bobby towed to my house thinking whatever it is, I can fix for WAY less.

What I noticed: when I push down on the clutch, it feels normal. It doesn't fall to the floorboard and stay. I had a slave clutch go out in a BMW once and changed it easily. From what I remember, ti pushed the clutch in and it stayed down.
Also, when I tried to go in gear, it would. Even w/out clutch.

Does this sound like anything at all? Please feel free to ask for better, more detailed questions. I was hoping to work on it this weekend. If anyone here is in the Denver area and would like to play Jeeps, let me know. ;-)

Julian

OK, after reading some posts, I now wonder if it's something with the transfer case. I did drive in 4WD recently when it was icy. I thought I tried the shifter. This all still seems like an easy, inexpensive fix I can and will do in my driveway. I would really appreciate any light you could shed on this. THX!

When you say you tried shifting and nothing, do you mean it wouldnt go into gear when you shifted or it came out of the gear you were in but not into the next gear? or do you mean everything shifted but when you pulled the clutch back out you got nothing?? Yes, it could be the tcase came out of gear and is in nuteral, have you tried shifting the 4x4 shifter back into drive. When you say you tried puting it in gear and it went without using the clutch, was the engine off? that would be normal if so.. The clutch pedal doesnt need to stay to the floor for the slave cylinder to be bad. At this point I would look at your 4x4 shifter to ensure its in gear, and you slave cylinder and clutch resivor(clutch master cylinder). A friend of mine's jeep wouldn't shift smoothly and it would take off on its own when in first at a stop, turned out the clutch master was leaking, wouldnt hold any presure.

Last edited:
A little clarification on 'nothing' is needed.

Check the clutch master cylinder fluid level and move the 4wd shifter and see if it helps.

I am just going toi swap out the master/slave. Is the tube between the master and the slave reusable? apparently you can't get one in Denver.

I really just don't know where else to start.

Back