E-brake 75 CJ5 / vs Bronco parts?

Shewilly

Bought all new brake hardware but didnt do the rear because the drums were worn so badly.
Got new drums.
All tore apart, well the self adjusting parts were not installed properly, which explains the weird ware on the drum and the shoes.
Anyway, the part (parts) in question...
My Chiltons calls it "e-brake strut" and it has a spring. I dont GOT one. I can find the strut, but why wouldnt the spring be avail for it?
I talked to my buddy who has several early broncos (72 ish) I went through his brake parts bucket and found 2 struts and 2 of those rectagular springs that go with it.
Im thinking they should be the same rite? same rear end, same size brakes etc.
Anyone?

His early bronco would have a ford 9" rear end and a 44 front, your rear is a 44. Im not for sure but, If the part your talking about is what I think it is and his brakes are the same size as yours I think I would work fine for you.

Yes it is what I thought it was and as long as he had the same size brakes as you, it should work .

It looks rite, and sounds logical, lets just see if the patient accepts the donor part lol!
Thanks 69 =)
BTW cant find the equalizer bar for this year either so im just gonna try one from 76.
Aaarrgh... nothins ever easy.

My '70 Chevy truck rear drum has what sounds to be the same "e-brake strut" and spring your describing. Probably a pretty universal set-up.

Welp, Im still struggling with these stupid brakes. The bronco "equalizer bar" was too long. Finally found and ordered the rite ones. Searched high and low for that stupid spring, and got the last ones my supplier had.

Now, the part that I call the "equalizer bar" This is the bracket that the front e-brake cable goes to, and Ys out to both rear cables. This part seems to have diappeared into extinction. I think I have one somewhere out in the barn but if Irc it is the 76 and up.

Im just so sick of traveling to where my Jeep is laid up, only to tear it apart and not get anywhere because Im lacking parts!!! (I know its my fault but still)

So, should I just buy one of those "universal" type? I have a gut feeling it wont work (even though it should)

Opinions please. Can you tell Im sick of di@king around with this? lol

I understand exactly how you feel. Can you put it together with out the ebrake so you can drive it home to work on?

Im sorry, not sure if I was looking for advise, or just looking to vent!
Getting it home isnt my concern rite now, its at the fabrication shop, then going to paint. But the climate conrolled garage, with the lift and all the fancy do-dad tools are available to use till it leaves there. So you make time to get some headway and all that gets shot to sh*t. Makes me wonder why I didnt just pick up cake making or needlepoint instead.

Nahhh not realy.

It sucks that as many cj5's as were made something like 606,000 or so from 55 to 83 and it's the longest running production Jeep they made finding parts is such a pain. You never see one in a junkyard, if you do it's picked clean. Then you get a 4x4 mag or catolog and all they want to sell is chrome hinges, yosemity sam mud flaps or a body lift. Yep, I do understand. The trail we have picked is a bit harder than the one that leads to the dealership.
Hang in there!

sorry the part didn't work, I would have thought that with the same size brakes it would have worked. Have you checked with quadra tech or 4wd Hardware, you can google both. You can try to google just the part you need and I bet a lot will come up.

The next time I pull a drum off my '92 XJ , I'm going to take a good look at the equalizer bar ( sometimes called a parking brake strut ) since it has "9 inch rear brakes and see if it looks like the one pictured . Just looks REAL familiar . I should try to get a measurement as well. If ford bronco rear brake bear a similarity in parts ( LONG time since I did one of those ! ) , maybe the 81/4 Chrysler could ? How about a Dana 35 ?

Ive got 2 of these (equalizer bar) coming from a place called "the jeep guy"
Looks like hes got quite a few hard to find goodies.

Back