Jeep Wrangler hood bounces

Bobnpattie

While on the freeway in a windy area with our brand new 2014 Jeep Wrangler....the hood kept bouncing up and down as though it was going to blow open while going down the road....do all jeep wranglers do this as the hood was completely fastened?

Re: Jeep wrangler hood

My dads brand new 82 cj-7 did that when I was a kid, Ive had a couple cj,s do it as well, I bought new hood latches and seemed to stop, but your are brand new.

Re: Jeep wrangler hood

I've got a 13 and it hasn't happened to me. I've read on other forums where people have complained of this before. Usually it's from the people that have removed the plastic skid plate/deflector from that area right below the front bumper. It allows much more air and wind to blow up under the hood. You can upgrade your external hood latches so that it doesn't move around.

edit: Congrats on the new Jeep and welcome to Jeepz!

Last edited:
Ours does that every time we drive here because of the wind. Its really windy here. I am thinking of swapping to the metal hood latches from morris4x4

A little bit of advice... CHANGE THE HOOD LATCHES. Otherwise, when you hit a bump at speed, your hood may blow open while driving. DO NOT ASK ME WHY I KNOW THIS!

Thanks....will look into new hood latches....seems like if the plastic latches don't work right they wouldn't be putting them on the new jeeps....We have only had it twomonths!

Check the rubber stops to make sure they contact the hood when it is closed and cinched down. If not adjust them up till they put the hood under a bit of tension when it is latched.

Back